Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got back from a three hour ride yesterday and when I went to clean the bike off I noticed some extra stubborn grime on the inside of the back right wheel and some nastiness around the hub. I looked a little closer and I realized that it was grease, sprayed all around the wheel from what looked like a little hole in the metal seal holding the bigger part of the CV boot. I think that I had ridden it some distance while busted. I'm really bummed on this, it means I'll likely have to spend a bunch of money at a shop on the parts and labour.
However, if the members of this forum can answer some questions and help me out, maybe I can save some money. How much damage have I done, and how hard are these things to replace? How much are the parts needed? Does anybody have experience with this sort of issue? I dont exactly have a great garage and tool set, but a buddy of mine does and I wouldn't mind giving it a try myself as opposed to having to spend lots of money.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
If you only rode it for that day, then you probably didn't do any damage really. But what you'll wwant to do is get that boot off from there to allow any moisture or anything else in there to get out. Then you will need a boot replacement kit, which is between 35 to 50 I would imagine. From there, it all depends on where it is located and everything, but CV joints aren't the hardest thing in the world to do. The only think you may need to make life easier that a normal person wouldn't have is the tool for the metal rings on the boot itself. It can be done with pliers, but much easier with this tool. The kit should include two new rings, plus grease to put in there. Biggest thing is to make sure the moisture is out. You will have to take the CV joint apart to get to the boot. I haven't done the right side so I am not sure if you can take it apart from the hub or if you'd have to do it from the inside. Someone else may be able to help out from that stand point, or look in the service manual.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put a hole in both the inner and outer boots on my bike and sprayed grease all over my damn bike! haha There was absolutely no actual damage (I rode through water for 2 days and not enough got into the boots to do anything. I just used the service manual to get the basic assembly in my head, tore it down and checked the joints (which were fine) greased them and swapped the new boots in. Really easy fix!

Richmond Hill?? I reckon you are the closest person to me (Kingston On.) on these boards! haha

Oh and the retaining rings on the boots come off with pliers, a flat head screw driver and a little care no problem. You just need to bend two little tabs.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Target is right on getting the rings off, but putting new ones on w/ out the tool can be a PITA as you may not get them as tight as you think you did, therefore allowing moisture to get it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Aaah I could see where are specialized tool for putting the rings on could be helpful - I swapped mine for hose clamps though. Forgot to mention that.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
One problem with hose clamps.....depending on how the notches are in them, they can actually break/tear into the rubber as you tighten them down. If you're going to use hose clamps, be sure they are the ones that are smooth on the inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts