Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damnit, I stripped out this bolt trying to get the plastics off. This was my first attempt at doing so and I got the front shrowd off with no issue. Then I get to this bolt and it just wont turn and eventually strips bad. I go to Lowes and pick up a screw extractor and it fails miserably. This bolt has eaten 3 bits already, are these made of hardened steel or what?

What I find really odd is the same bolt on the opposite side feels loose with the bit in as well. It wont turn easily either but I dont want to push it. Is there some special bit I should be using? The one pictured is obviously beyond repair. I just need it out, any suggestions? :argh:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I never got one of the allen bolts stuck but I cross threaded a hex bolt that holds plastic up by the air box area and I drilled it out with a dewalt drill and titanium bit. Use imperial bits to unscrew them in the future as these are made in japan and do not use metric bolts. Which is no problem for me anyways because I live in Canada and we use imperial too :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
if the easy outs wont work you can use an angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel to cut a slot in the bolt. you can then use a LARGE screwdriver to turn it out. Keep some water or soaked towel handy to keep bolt cool as grinder will heat it up hot enough to melt the plastic. You will probably need to turn screwdriver with vice grips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use imperial bits to unscrew them in the future as these are made in japan and do not use metric bolts. Which is no problem for me anyways because I live in Canada and we use imperial too :p
Is there one specific bit that does all the plastics? Or is there a set I need? I want to order some but am not 100% on what I need.

ThX for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if the easy outs wont work you can use an angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel to cut a slot in the bolt. you can then use a LARGE screwdriver to turn it out. Keep some water or soaked towel handy to keep bolt cool as grinder will heat it up hot enough to melt the plastic. You will probably need to turn screwdriver with vice grips.

This will be my next step, thank you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the allen bolts that hold plastics are the same size I don't recall having to change bits. I would use an allen key or socket wrench allen bit to loosen and tighten as a drill will strip bolts a lot quicker. Not sure if you used a drill or wrench is why I mention that just in case lol.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Or use a dremel. I had that same thing happen to that SAME bolt when I did my cam change. It's a bitch. I got the plastic off around it and then used vice grips.

I'm pretty sure all the allen bolts that hold plastics are the same size I don't recall having to change bits.
I actually found two different size hex heads on mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well the dremeling of a slot in the bolt head worked. I just used a large flathead and some muscle and it broke free. The bolt sounded like it snapped when it broke loose but ended up being fine. I had to do the same for the same bolt on the opposite side. Neither bolt showed any evidence of loc-tite or ever being unscrewed before. The factory really torques their crap down.

TY KWG700XX for the fantastic advice. Hopefully if another member has this issue in the future they can find this thread helpful.

PS; Anyone know where I can order factory replacement bolts from?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Honda shop is where i get mine when i loose one.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Drill the head off ,then use "Vice Grips" to get it out.
Honda hex's on the xx are 5mm ,which is slightly less than 7/32" and bigger than a 3/16".
I changed mine and got a CRF bolt kit by Bolt motorcycle hardware. Cost me like £15 and there's alot of bolts and stuff to make life easier.

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
as these are made in japan and do not use metric bolts. Which is no problem for me anyways because I live in Canada and we use imperial too :p

Drill the head off ,then use "Vice Grips" to get it out.
Honda hex's on the xx are 5mm ,which is slightly less than 7/32" and bigger than a 3/16".

I thought they were metric as well. I have yet to find a American or Imperial bolt of any kind on my Honda.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.