Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you guys break in the bike before installing the fuel controllers? My bike was delivered on Friday, and I have yet to even start it. I have no desire to run it for even a few minutes without changing out the pipes and adding a controller. I just dont know if I should run it a few hours, in stock form, before adding the controller.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
No reason to not install any of it, Just ensure to not have it set rich. Most fuel controllers come with a base setting that will be fine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I really dont follow any mfgr rules for braki-in on any vehicle that I buy. i do 4 or 5 heat cycles for 15 minutes each, 30 minute cool downs and then run it like I want. I installed a few pipes/controllers on bikes right out of the crate without any problems at all. My 700 hd maybe 5 hrs on it before i got a pipe, only because nobody made one at the time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone here done the valve adjustment after the break in period?

If I am taking the bike back to the dealer for the adjustment, I dont know if taking it there with a pipe and a fuel controller is a good idea. My enigne builder (cars) can do the job, but dont know if I want to mess with it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
not sure how much it cost at any other dealers but i gott bring mine in sometime this week for them to do the first maintaince on where they adjust the valves and change all fluids and its only going to cost $150 in my opnion thats not bad, these guys know what to look for on these bikes and im sure honda sent most of them threw a crash course school about the new bike and they have all the memos on what should really be checked, after this maintaince i'll order my exhaust, intake, and programer and i'll continue to do the maintaince myself after that.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I'm going through the motions right now where I bought mine to see about getting that done. Since it's a "powerhouse" dealer it's supposed to be included, but I haven't corresponded with anyone who knows anything regarding that there.

(sigh)

Club | 700 | xx

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just called my local Honda dealer and the first service charge is $300 for ten hours of work. I am not a mechanic by any means but I highly doubt it would take ten hours to check valve adjustments and and do an oil change.

Here is my view on how to do this. Find one of the hundreds of mechanics that got laid off, and give him the $300 to do the job.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just called my local Honda dealer and the first service charge is $300 for ten hours of work. I am not a mechanic by any means but I highly doubt it would take ten hours to check valve adjustments and and do an oil change.

Here is my view on how to do this. Find one of the hundreds of mechanics that got laid off, and give him the $300 to do the job.

Disregard the hours on this post. But still, I would give the $300 to an unemployed mechanic instead.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Good idea. There are way too many good mechanics out there looking to make a living

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was just out put puttin ( don`t want to piss off the neighbors) and when I pulled it into the garage I noticed the exhaust was glowing cherry red, is this normal? Maybe I just didn`t notice it before ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was just out put puttin ( don`t want to piss off the neighbors) and when I pulled it into the garage I noticed the exhaust was glowing cherry red, is this normal? Maybe I just didn`t notice it before ?
Nope, not if you were only putting around. My engine gets to 209 degrees when I am beating on it, but the exhaust doesnt glow. That would be a lean fuel condition on most vehicles

·
Registered
984 Posts
Nah! it's cold enough here to appreciate a little extra heat. Were you riding it after dark or was it dark in the garage?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.