642 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
i don't remember

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
Won't the hot rods bottom end rebuild kit come with gaskets?
The link in post #6 says it comes with a complete gasket kit, so I'd say yes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yea that’s what I figured, so that’s good, 1 less thing to worry about. Gonna try to take out the head this weekend, doesn’t seem too bad from the manual.

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Took out the spark plug today to see it completely destroyed:
Also, it seems like there's a hairline crack on the other crankcase as well: Think i should replace it too?

·
Registered
642 Posts
maybe i missed it but why or what happened to brake the case ?

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
Also, it seems like there's a hairline crack on the other crankcase as well: Think i should replace it too?
Looks like more than a hairline crack! And the spark plug looks like the top end came apart as well as the bottom end. Your engine is toast, so no need to worry about taking it apart.

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
Is your jug cracked as well? The damage to plug looks like piston came apart. With all the damage you have, that ebay motor might be a better option. And the price has dropped on it. I just looked and seen it is in Wooster, Ohio $1750 and $150 freight.

Also wondering when this engine blew did it give any warnings like smoking, and we're you wot? I was wot when mine went. The piston cracked the jug, but my crank was fine, and plug looked good too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Jug seems fine, I was wot when it happened. But prior to it, it was working fine. No signs of it having issues. And about 1900$ is definitely tempting.

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Tried taking out the camshaft today but had no luck since I can't turn the crank to be able to unscrew the cam sprocket. But, I did take out the flywheel, starter torque limiter and the idle gear. Any suggestions on getting the cam out though? Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Looking at your case it broke in the area of the counter balancer. I wonder if your counter balancer broke and that is also preventing you from being able to rotate the crank.

Have you removed the timing chain tensioner?

Remove the covers so you can get at the lower gear and try to pry it off down there. Otherwise you can cut it. I would replace the cam chain anyway since it's all apart.

Kind of like when you have to remove the timing belt to replace a water pump in a car. You almost always install a new timing belt. (unless it was recently replaced).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I’m thinking the counterbalancer broke as well. I really hope not since it’s an expensive part to replace as well. I’ve taken out the chain tensioner but it isn’t loose enough to get it off the sprocket. I’ll try to get at the lower gear and take it off from there, if not I’ll just cut it off then.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Checked out the oil pump and it looked good but I have a question about putting in back, for “oil pump B”, the one that’s on the inner part of the crankcase cover, aid the pinched out side supposed to be facing out toward the clutch side or in toward the outside. Hope you guys remember, the book doesn’t say anything about that for lump B so I’m guessing it’s supposed to be facing in toward the outside. Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i guess i find it odd that the balancer would brake . to me is more likely some thing had gotten between the balancer and the case wall . there is not much room between the two parts .

·
Registered
642 Posts
in the service manual 5-7 , does that pic help ?

41 - 60 of 151 Posts