Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you may have heard, I broke my leg on my 700xx on May 25th. I went to the doctors today for a check up on my leg. I took a few pictures of it.

Shonie

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wow, you,ve got a see through leg or some sort of awesome camera... lol..

Ouch, snapped right through the tibia and fibula..

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, you,ve got a see through leg or some sort of awesome camera... lol..

Ouch, snapped right through the tibia and fibula..
Yep. I used my X-Ray Bat Camera! LOL

Prolly would have been way worse if I didn't have riding boots on. Prolly would have shattered. That would have really sucked.

This was the first time I got to see my leg after the surgery......bleh....gave me the willies!

Shonie

·
Registered
99 Posts
WOW! I would be crying like a baby! Those breaks look crazy.

You probably will end up on the TSA's hit list now, you'll never clear a scanner again! lol

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You probably will end up on the TSA's hit list now, you'll never clear a scanner again! lol
Even though I'm Native American..... I'm Brown skinned...thin build...and have a big nose......I've fit the profile since 9-11. I travel a lot and ALWAYS get secondary screening. Then again....maybe they think I'm an AIM activist? LOL I seriously doubt that.

Shonie

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

And yes....I did cry like a baby. Call me a puss, but hell it fuggin hurt!

Shonie

·
Registered
99 Posts
I still hope to ride with you man. If you get down this way before your all healed up I will take you for a cruse in my Rhino.

Oh and BTW, your skin looks more black and blue than brown right now! lol

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Ouch! I feel for you shonie, I have done exactly the same break and have the pin and everything as well except I did mine falling off the roof of a ski lodge! It's a shit load of pain right there!
All the best for the recovery!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Not sure if you mentioned this or not, but is that rod permanent or removed after the bone heals?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure if you mentioned this or not, but is that rod permanent or removed after the bone heals?
It's permanent. My bro says the xray looks like Wolverine. LOL

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
It's permanent. My bro says the xray looks like Wolverine. LOL
If it's permanent and you have the same crash again, it will shatter the bone. In the UK they opt to have them removed after 18 months. You will still need recovery time , once it is removed.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's permanent and you have the same crash again, it will shatter the bone. In the UK they opt to have them removed after 18 months. You will still need recovery time , once it is removed.
I've had people tell me to have it taken out because of exactly what you said. I do a lot of wake boarding as well and I'm quite active with other things. I dunno if I really want to take the risk of possibly having another injury to my leg again and causing even more problems. uugghhhh......I dread having to go through another surgery to have it removed. Not a pleasant experince.

Shonie

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just had a chat with my friend (uk orthopedic surgeon) who said they often leave them in due to the costs involved with removal !
As already mentioned, the only bad side to it being left in is if you have the same accident again as it would bend the rod, shatter the bone and make it an absolute nightmare to remove the rod !

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I still have mine in after 13 years of being in my femur. They said the same thing to me, and have pondered getting it out because it started to cause me some severe pain a few years ago. Doctors said because I was going through a growth spurt (I was 25 at the time and only growing in my belly) so I stuck with it. Finally got it to be tolerable but still hurts most of the time. I'd do whatever your surgeon says, and be sure to do 110 percent of your physical therapy. Push them to push you, because some places just don't give a rats hind end. Good luck with it man. And with my last job, I traveled around the world, and always set off scanners.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. Well so far it has been just a little over 3 weeks since my accident. I'm getting better each day and I am able to get around a lot easier than I did when I first came home from the hospital. My leg still swells up everyday, but I still work hard to do all I can to get it in shape.

Physical therapy sucks and hurts like a mo fo. But I know I have to do the excercises they told me to do. The hospital is getting me a travel packet together for me for when I fly. They give me copies of my x-rays and a statement from the doctor about the rod in my leg, so security shouldn't be so bad.

I have been working from home for the past 2 weeks and this is my last week doing so. Then I have to be back in the office next week on Monday the 25th. It will actually be nice to go back to work at the office. Sometimes working at home isn't all that you may think it is.

I've been practicing driving my truck with my left foot for a few days. It was a little confuzing at first, but I'm getting the hang of it. So I should be good to go anywhere my truck can take me pretty soon.

I had my friend bring my boat back home for me from Lake Powell this past weekend. I'm not going to be doing any boating this season because of my accident. So there is no point in keeping my boat at the lake and paying storage. The wife was doing some cleaning around the yard and wanted the boat moved. No one but me knows how to backup the boat trailer. So I had to hobble on out to the truck and have my son inlaw hook up the boat so I could park it elsewhere. It was depressing knowing that I will not be doing any boating this season.

I had my son inlaw unload my 700xx's from the flatbed the other day and put them away. They have'nt been touched since my accident. It was good to hear them running again but it was sad knowing that I'm not going to be riding them any time soon either. Another depressing moment.

Despite all the pit falls, I'm glad I'm ok and getting better. God bless my wife, family and my close friends for being there for me and taking care of me.

Thank you all and god bless each and everyone of you for all your kind words, wisdom and jokes. This truely is a great forum with great people. Even though I'm not going to be riding for awhile, I still come here and read the boards. I can't wait to get better and start riding again.

Shonie

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
We can't wait to see you back in the saddle as well. I miss your videos of riding in the wild west. Until then I will pray for your full and fast recovery. Get well soon!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I go back to work tomorrow........ugh...I'm kinda liking this working at home. I get to take all the breaks I want. Eat when I want. Take naps. No boss or others bugging me. Surf the web all I want. As long as the work gets done is all that matters. But looks like that all comes to an end tomorrow. :(

Shonie

·
Registered
68 Posts
That looks like it hurt a whole lot. Well if you snap the other one your half way to becoming Wolverine. I hope that does not happen to you in the near future.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it's been over 2 months since I jacked up my leg and it's been an experience to say the very least. I wouldn't wish this 5hit on my worst enemy.

I've been gradually moving around and doing things that I wasn't able to do when I first got injured. I tossed my dayum boot about 3 weeks ago and then tossed my friggin crutches last week after nearly killing myself going down the porch stairs. Now I'm using a cane. It's alot easier and less of a pain compared to the crutches.

I was sitting on my porch (deck) yesterday evening around 6 and was looking at my 700's that were covered with a blue tarp. I haven't even looked at them since my accident. My friend brought them home and covered them up for me the day of my accident and they haven't moved since.

I went inside and grabbed the keys, went outside and hobbled down the stairs and walked over to my 700's. I tossed my cane to the side and began to untie the tarp. When I removed the tarp, my 700's were completely covered in dust and one had a rear flat tire. I unlocked the cable-lock and removed it, dusted off the seat on my main 700 (Jeckle). I got on it (took me awhile) put the keys in and fired it up. Good lord it was nice to hear it once again. I let Jeckle warm up for a few minutes and once warmed up, I snapped the throttle a few times...."damn I miss riding" I said to myself.....

Fuggit....I put it reverse and backed it out and took Jeckle for a spin. Man it felt so good to be riding again! I had to take it real easy though because I cannot put much weight or twist on my leg. So turning was a challenge. I had to sit and lean in to it a bit in order to turn. This proved to be quite difficult because my natural reaction is to ride like I always do. And everytime I did that it hurt like hell. After about 15 minutes of riding around I took Jeckle back home and locked it back up.

It will be at least a year before I am fully healed and can ride normally. That day cannot come soon enough. But going for that ride yesterday was awesome!It really made me feel much better.

Shonie

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Well it's been over 2 months since I jacked up my leg and it's been an experience to say the very least. I wouldn't wish this 5hit on my worst enemy.

I've been gradually moving around and doing things that I wasn't able to do when I first got injured. I tossed my dayum boot about 3 weeks ago and then tossed my friggin crutches last week after nearly killing myself going down the porch stairs. Now I'm using a cane. It's alot easier and less of a pain compared to the crutches.

I was sitting on my porch (deck) yesterday evening around 6 and was looking at my 700's that were covered with a blue tarp. I haven't even looked at them since my accident. My friend brought them home and covered them up for me the day of my accident and they haven't moved since.

I went inside and grabbed the keys, went outside and hobbled down the stairs and walked over to my 700's. I tossed my cane to the side and began to untie the tarp. When I removed the tarp, my 700's were completely covered in dust and one had a rear flat tire. I unlocked the cable-lock and removed it, dusted off the seat on my main 700 (Jeckle). I got on it (took me awhile) put the keys in and fired it up. Good lord it was nice to hear it once again. I let Jeckle warm up for a few minutes and once warmed up, I snapped the throttle a few times...."damn I miss riding" I said to myself.....

Fuggit....I put it reverse and backed it out and took Jeckle for a spin. Man it felt so good to be riding again! I had to take it real easy though because I cannot put much weight or twist on my leg. So turning was a challenge. I had to sit and lean in to it a bit in order to turn. This proved to be quite difficult because my natural reaction is to ride like I always do. And everytime I did that it hurt like hell. After about 15 minutes of riding around I took Jeckle back home and locked it back up.

It will be at least a year before I am fully healed and can ride normally. That day cannot come soon enough. But going for that ride yesterday was awesome!It really made me feel much better.

Shonie
Glad to hear this. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts