Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im an idiot and decided to change my oil while drinking, a lot. I wasnt paying attention and snapped the long bolt off, the one on the right side. the cover is still sealed and no oil appears to be leaking, but i need the broke off bolt out. anyone ever dealt with this problem before? should i attempt it myself or just take it to the shop.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Someone CAN do this themselves... IF they have the skills and the right tools to handle the work. This being said, I'd take it to the shop for them to do it because then, they'd be responsible for doing the job and dealing with any other variables that this could involve... Is there a nub of the broken bolt sticking out after the cover has been removed? Is the nub enough to get a bite on? Will you have to end up using an "easy out"?

So the question(s) are... Do you have the skills? Do you have ALL the tools that might be necessary? Or would you rather pay someone else to have the headache?

roadkill

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
And would you be doing this drunk or sober? haha. j/k. If you don't have to tools, and there is no end sticking out, I would definately take it to the shop, and not trying to knock ya, but with you asking, I am assuming you have never used an easy out or tap set or anything, so I think you'd be better off take it to the shop. The hard thing will be because it is such a small diameter bolt, and where you broke it off at.

·
Registered
296 Posts
if you drank a lot and broke the bolt. that meens you hafta drink a whloe lot more to get the bolt out

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just remember if you try to fix it yourself and make it worse they will charge you even more.:steamed:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an easy out, and all the stuff to get the bolt out, but its the long bolt, and its broke right about the threads and i cant see the end so... good advice think ill take it to the shop. thanks for the help dudes.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I did the same thing the first time I changed my oil. There was a long thread here on it. If you broke off the long bolt you are looking at some work. The clutch housing has to come off to access it. and you cant get the bolt out without jacking the engine up because the frame is in the way. So the engine mounts have to be taken loose. I took mine into the shop. It was about a $300.00 fix. I am replacing all of my bolts because I over-torqued all of them and a short one broke off recently as well. That one I got out with a small screwdriver. These bolts are soft as hell, and it is pretty easy to break them if you are the kind of guy that tend to tighten the hell out of everything like I do. I absolutely hate tightening these bolts when I change my oil because of what happened!

·
Registered
528 Posts
a good way to not break a 8mm bolt is to hold the ratched with the extension beween your two middle figers and use it like a T handle, it limits your leverage. never use a wrench if possible and if you do use the open end.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In all seriousness you can buy a left hand drill bit to get it out. Usually as you try drilling it with your drill in reverse it turns out with the bit.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
In all seriousness you can buy a left hand drill bit to get it out. Usually as you try drilling it with your drill in reverse it turns out with the bit.
That is true. But you would need a long bit, as it is in there, the bolt is obviously pretty tight in there, and he could stand a chance of messing up the bold housing. I would just recommend paying the 1/2hrs worth of labor at your local shop so it doesn't get messed up and you have to pay for a few hours worth of labor. if it was one of the other bolts, I would totally do it myself, but the longer one, with where you say it breaks off, I think the shop is the best bet.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I seriously doubt that it can be extracted without taking off the clutch housing.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I believe someone already broke one off using a torque wrench. I put most all of my 10mm bolts back on the motor with just a nut driver.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I USE AN IMPACT WRENCH LMAO. a 1/4 drive socket, w/ 1/4 turn after snug doing a star pattern.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I broke a bolt off taking it OUT... one of the 3 that hold the spark arrester into the stock muffler. The other 2 came right out, but the top one moved a little, then got tight and stopped turning. Put a little pressure on it and SNAP! And that's the way it remains... with only 2 bolts holding it in. However, the stock exhaust will be a thing of the past this weekend. My Barker full exhaust will be here tomorrow.

roadkill

·
Registered
160 Posts
Try to use a small left hand drill bit they are a little pricey sometimes but lots of tiles they will grab and screw the broken bolt out, most supply stores do not carry these bits but they are available and do work when drilling backwards.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would not recommend using a left hand drill bit on a bolt this small. More than likely, the broken bolt is not flat and this will cause the drill to wander into the cast aluminum. So, you will be drilling part of the bolt and part of the housing surrounding the bolt. Not good. Take it apart and fix it right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.