Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
idk why but if i check my oil before i ride and then when im done riding my oil level drops a good amount. not to much where its to low but im just wondering why its like that. could it be from the full exhaust and the efi progammer making it run real rich?

·
Registered
268 Posts
First I would make sure you don't have any oil leaks what so ever, like have you noticed oil anywhere after it's parked for a bit or any oil in spots on your bike there shouldn't be. If it's not leaking oil then you probably have to get new rings and possibly other parts if they got damaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i no its not leaking anyway for sure. i just had the bottom end rebuild and all that shit. what pisses me off the most that if i go take it to try to get warrenty work honda are such assholes and will try to not cover it and say its my fault.

·
Registered
51 Posts
should not have any thing to do with the exhaust or controler but could have something to do with new rebuilt engine it could use a bit of oil untill it all gets broke in and rings seat that would be my guess

·
Registered
392 Posts
The oil level will appear to be higher when the engine is cold vs a warm engine. The proper way to check the oil is to start the engine and let it idle for 5-10 minutes then immediately check. Try that and see where your at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i never even give it gas until its fully warmed up so i let it warmed up and then always check it and thats where i saw it was lower then the last time i rode it which then the oil level was good.

·
Registered
392 Posts
How long ago was that?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would just watch it for a bit and see if it continues to happen...its a dry sump system so a different amount can be in the engine at any given time. Watch it over a period of several rides being consistent with when and how you check.....my machines have all sorts of problems and new noises everytime I work on them....then I realize that it is all in my head and move on...

·
Registered
268 Posts
My manual says this:

Oil Tank Level Check
Check the oil tank level.
Do not snap the throttle while idling because the oil level reading will be inaccurate.

1. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area and let idle for 5 minutes. If the air temperature is below 10ºC (50ºF), let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (a total of 10 minutes).

2. Stop the engine and wait 2-3 minutes.

3. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.

4. Check the oil level by inserting the oil filler cap/dipstick into the oil filler hole without screwing it in.

5. The engine contains a sufficient amount of oil if the oil level is between the upper level mark and lower level mark on the oil filler cap/dipstick.

6. If the oil level is near or below the lower level mark, add the recommended engine oil up to the upper level mark.

7. Reinstall the oil filler cap/dipstick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts