Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey, I have done alot of cvs/axles/diffs/etc and can tell you first, take the cv apart, clean it and check for the bearings to be scratched or anything.

Also do not get a "split boot" (a boot that bolts on without taking the axle apart) I guess they are ok for keeping in your toolbox for on trail repairs, but only should be used temporary IMHO.

I would get what they call a "Boot set" It should come with a new boot, new clamps and CV grease. Here's a page for reference, note part numbers 6 and 12 are outboard (wheel end) boot sets and there's a pretty good schematic...

http://cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1601-honda-2008-trx700xx-TRX700XX/assemblies/20200

It should be pretty east to take off, and fix, here's where I get MY repair parts from, they are cheap, reliable and make performance parts with warrantees, have had much better luch than stock with these guys, thicker boots, stronger axles, etc, my only gripe withe them is thier clamps, I feel the stockers clamp much easier and much harder, again IMHO. They also have videos to help you, honestly, your cv will prob knock off with a hammer and tap back on like nothing, they are cool like that, once you do it once, you will prob be like me and order a spare an know all you really need is tools to remove the hub, a good mallet and a screwdriver to repair your whole axle...

http://www.thecvman.com/guides.php?agree=0

Hope this helps, Kris

·
Registered
354 Posts
How many hours were on your ATV when this busted ??? I am problably going to order one inboard and outboard just in case...Mine looked a little dry after being submerged a few times in NC clay, so i started using zymol leather conditioner on them after cleaning, i also spray my ENTIRE atv with westley's black magic tire shine, i heard pam cooking spray, wd40 and others work as well, but the tire wet is readilly available and made for automotive uses...I know it protects the rubber/plastic parts and sure helps keep the mud from stickin and shines everything up quite nicely too !!!

Oh, one more good thing to rub em with would be fork oil, it has nice rubber protectants and other goodies to keep em slippery and flexable...maybe trans fluid too, but i dont trust that crap, too many chemicals

41 - 44 of 44 Posts