Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member on this site and I live in phoenix,az i was turned towards the xx first because of the price, then I started to research on it and really got interested because of the features and overall style of it. I currently own a dirtbike honda crf450r and have encountered problems with the valves. anyone that has owned a 450 prob. knows what im talking about. the valve clearance needs to be reshimmed every 10-20 hours do to the titanium intake valves stretching I havent looked far enough into the 700 to see what kind ff valvetrain the have but i would like to get a firsthand view from everyone that owns the 700 to see if there has been any problems with the valves needing to be reshimmed the 700 being a bigger engine than the 450 I would hope that honda did something to the valvetrain to prevent any problems from occuring. I read on a few other sights that there were a few catistrophic engine failures but it appeared that it was from lack of maintenance and just reving the engine to high and too long (not being experienced with engines) sorry i wrote a novel for all of you to read but let me know if there have been issues. thanks guys.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So far mine's been great and I don't think anybody here has had that problem.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I"ll second that!

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Ditto!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats all i needed to hear!! i will let everyone know my experience with my new 700xx after make the purchase. thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's a great machine. Just adjust the valves every 100 or so hours and it will be fine.:hey:

·
Registered
36 Posts
just rode royal blue yesterday here in tn. Got seperated from my group and to make a long story short, wound up riding about 6 miles back to camp on pavement. Being by my self and having about 20hrs on my quad so far, i decided to open it up a bit and stretch those valves out before i open it up to check them. First i just wanna say to my suprise that i have owned street bikes that didnt handle this well on pavement (WOW!!!) I just leaned in and never let off throttle in the curves, also i never hit the rev limiter either and i tried, this thing is wickedly fast. The only thing was the temp light did briefly come on but man i was pushing it very hard, anyway after all this i will get around to the valves and report back...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am a new member on this site and I live in phoenix,az i was turned towards the xx first because of the price, then I started to research on it and really got interested because of the features and overall style of it. I currently own a dirtbike honda crf450r and have encountered problems with the valves. anyone that has owned a 450 prob. knows what im talking about. the valve clearance needs to be reshimmed every 10-20 hours do to the titanium intake valves stretching I havent looked far enough into the 700 to see what kind ff valvetrain the have but i would like to get a firsthand view from everyone that owns the 700 to see if there has been any problems with the valves needing to be reshimmed the 700 being a bigger engine than the 450 I would hope that honda did something to the valvetrain to prevent any problems from occuring. I read on a few other sights that there were a few catistrophic engine failures but it appeared that it was from lack of maintenance and just reving the engine to high and too long (not being experienced with engines) sorry i wrote a novel for all of you to read but let me know if there have been issues. thanks guys.[/quote

I haven't heard of anyone having any valve issue's.

Get the XX you won't be sorry, steps right over all those big rocks out there. BTW I am in Phoenix if you want to check out one with some mods.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
When you use high performance parts there is always an increase in attention to maintenance. The guys who had trouble with there 450's weren't checking valve lash as frequently as needed. The valve will stretch over a period of time, Not just suddenly that would catch you by surprise.
The XX doesn't have Ti valves so that is not an issue. The only valve failure I know of to date was on mine, This was from not double checking clearances on a piston install, not over revving. The XX has a limiter that is set well within over rev range.
The XX valve lash setting procedure is 100x easier then the 450 also, It uses a set screw and there are no shims required. Just out of curiousity, Where did you here of XX valve problems?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts