Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help replacing my timing chain and can't quite work out how to do it from the shop manual alone. Does anyone have any advice or a step-by-step guide (or link to one) that could help out? Thanks for any help! :thanks:

·
Registered
69 Posts
It would be better to have it done by a certf mechanic. Messing with the timing chain will not be a cheap repair.

·
Super Moderator
5,843 Posts
Well I can't really help with that, but from the manual it don't look like to bad of a job. I'm wondering if your cam chain broke with the mods you listed, don't sound right. Maybe if you post pictures and direct question you have, I'm sure someone with experience will help.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I only had my engine apart a few weeks ago and forgetting already !
If you look here you will see a pic that may be helpfull..
http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8978 (post 11)
Unbolt the engine (5 bolts) but you do not need to remove it from frame and can get away without disconnecting electrics and water pipes. Just disconnect the throttle body rubber gater from the engine.
You will need to raise the engine around an inch so you can remove side casing. I jacked up engine and put rear lower engine bolt back in then sat engine on it..
Remove clutch and basket and you will be left with what you can see in pic 11 !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem I think I have is that the quad was run out of or almost out of oil, and that makes me think the timing chain itself was warped/ stretched (see pics). Don't really want to have to pay a dealer to do it and I'd like to learn how to do it myself anyway. As long as I can get the side case off, I'm sure I could figure it out after that - I plan on making a list of everything I have to do so I have it just in case. That picture at least gives me a clue as to where I have to get so I really appreciate it, rappey. Thanks to everyone who posted for help and info, will update on how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts