Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow Tony, it sounds like your pretty desperate for some races. DoubleTap, should it be adjusted in or out?
Just tryin to have some fun man too late in the season for trail riding in michigan

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey there. My bro in law has an 04crf250 4-stroke that he raced motocross with. I smoked him off the line launching in both first and second depending on the surface. Second on gravel to keep wheel spin down. First in most all other terrain. Off the line I got him but he caught me however I reeled him in in fifth gear and passed him and I was pulling away but he was bouncing off the rev limiter. Just race him on a gravel road where you can wind the xx up. Practice your launching and bang the gears hard and you should be able to take him most of the time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey there. My bro in law has an 04crf250 4-stroke that he raced motocross with. I smoked him off the line launching in both first and second depending on the surface. Second on gravel to keep wheel spin down. First in most all other terrain. Off the line I got him but he caught me however I reeled him in in fifth gear and passed him and I was pulling away but he was bouncing off the rev limiter. Just race him on a gravel road where you can wind the xx up. Practice your launching and bang the gears hard and you should be able to take him most of the time.
That's kind of what I was thinking there is dirt roads all around me and they just graded all of them. His is a 2 stroke though. He swears he's gunna beat me by a mile but he also tells me he has never topped his bike out and he would be afraid to it is so fast. I know what my machine can do so I'm ready to race him anytime!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Let him talk the xx should take him in the long races. Like I say get a good launch and make a little distance then just stay pinned the whole time. A two stroke will get to speed quick then top out. Plus if he's never topped it out yet chances are he's a little scared and won't push too hard. I wouldn't put the pink slip on the race but the xx should hand any 250 a loss or two. 2 or 4stroke. Again if you got a couple miles use a couple miles. Oh also a dirt bike is gonna roost hard so where a deflector. I learned the hard and sore way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Let him talk the xx should take him in the long races. Like I say get a good launch and make a little distance then just stay pinned the whole time. A two stroke will get to speed quick then top out. Plus if he's never topped it out yet chances are he's a little scared and won't push too hard. I wouldn't put the pink slip on the race but the xx should hand any 250 a loss or two. 2 or 4stroke. Again if you got a couple miles use a couple miles. Oh also a dirt bike is gonna roost hard so where a deflector. I learned the hard and sore way.
He has told me he is afraid of it. It's got a powercore slip on and a gold series header. I have a powercore 4 and uni filter and that's it. For now anyways. He said his is geared for racing so if so he prolly tops out around 70 I would guess. :crazy:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah if it's geared then he will get there quick but like you say probably tops out at around 70. Yeah if I can do that against a 4-stroke and I'm all stock you should take him. Also my bro in laws bike has racing launch control in the front forks to keep the front down. I doubt your buddy has them so he will be fighting to keep the front down on the launch that's where you have to make up space. Then he will blow by you but stay on the gas hard and you will start catching in high fourth gear and pull on him in fifth.

·
Registered
404 Posts
IMO, It doesn't really matter if he does take you. His bike weighs 300 lbs less so he has a major weight advantage. Race a 250r quad on the other hand and you should take the W all day long. I'm not saying that you won't win, just that I wouldn't bet the wife on it. Also since your new to the bike I figured I would let you know the way I find the xx to be fastest. Start in second and sort shift into 3rd and somewhat into 4th and ride it out from there. It's not a high Rev motor and if you rev the shit out of it in 1st-3rd you are wasting time. Good luck and gets some videos if you can

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wouldn't be surprise if the 250r wins this one, if he his slightly modded you screwed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
250r shouldn't win.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My Buddy has one you should beat him till about 3rd gear just because dirt bikes are real squirrely outa the hole I have the big3 he has reeds and pipe I can only beat him till 3rd gear then he creeps around me

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My friend down the road had a renegade 800 with a programmer and raced a xx and said he couldn't keep up. This was at silver lake sand dunes. He had that before I got my xx he sold it now has a ltz400. He told me that our 700s are slept on he's beat raptors and kfx700s at silver lake but he said the xx walked away every time.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
When I used to live in MI and go to SilverLake, there were only a handful that could beat me, mostly built up banshees, a built up raptor, and a sweet yfz450. I never lined up with any Can Ams though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
When I used to live in MI and go to SilverLake, there were only a handful that could beat me, mostly built up banshees, a built up raptor, and a sweet yfz450. I never lined up with any Can Ams though.
How do you like your powercore4/powerbomb header combo? Was there a noticeable difference

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I like it. I've put this combo on a few different machines. Sadly, yesterday was my birthday and I sold my XX, so a good bday present to me. I'd def get the quiet core for MI though, as mine was too loud for some places. Make sure you get the spark arrestor too, because they checked for mine at Silver Lake a few times and wouldn't let me in, so I put it in the back of my truck and went out there LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I am pretty sure you can. They've checked more for spark arrestors every where I have been than they have noise, so it is iffy as it is pretty close to the limit. Just make sure you keep good packing in the exhaust, and I think you'd be ok. Most places are 96 dbs, which if I recall is pretty close to what the exhaust is, the quiet core brings it down to 92 I believe. They failed me once on noise at Silver Lake as well, but I had no packing. I said to be sure to get the quiet core as then you wouldn't have a problem with noise at all, even if the packing goes you should be safe.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts