Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an idea , I was looking into over the Christmas holidays last year.
Over than weight saving , Is there any gains to be had using a carb system instead of the efi system ? :D
This would involve differant (lighter) flywheel ,ignition system and wiring loom.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think it is mostly used for drag racing as they have better throttle response and in the case of the raptor the ECU has the ignition control that holds the rappy up in very big builds and above like 8500 rpms. This can also save a lot of weight including the smaller tank for drag racing. DL700 has a kit for the raptor I think. Easier to tune carbs if you have the know how too.

·
Registered
755 Posts
One benefit would be getting rid of that annoying jump in fuel when you put your thumb on the throttle.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
one main advantage would be the the ignition system... unlimited adjustability and unlimited rpm potential, and a way hotter spark, a ton less wiring for sure. Flywheel modification is $200 or its possible that a XR flywheel may work (gotta look at em side by side)

MSD CDI and Coil is about $400
most carbs are around $500 new

intake configuration could stay in place

44 mm Lectron or 44 FCr or TM would be nice l... maybe a 48 tm or LECTRON

Wiring in the MSD is simple but not for everyone

It will make more power when done

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
one main advantage would be the the ignition system... unlimited adjustability and unlimited rpm potential, and a way hotter spark, a ton less wiring for sure. Flywheel modification is $200 or its possible that a XR flywheel may work (gotta look at em side by side)

Guess I know what we are doing after the stroker crank.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts

I've looked at the flywheel and crank difference, There's quite a bit difference in them. Anything is possible but I wouldn't find making the XR flywheel fit feasible.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
i have mixed feeling about carbs i think if you can have a efi system that you can control completly there isnt much comparison but if there is no way to control then you can have a leg up with a carb. Carbs are generally a little easier to tune but you cant make them as precise as a efi system and with out some good knowledge (same with efi) you wont be able to tune to there potential.

i prefer efi personally

i think properly done efi will make more than a carb but it is easier to put a carb on and make power on a larger build where the tb starts to get maxed

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Any where you go people will have there preference. Carbs and EFI both have advantages, It's useless to bicker about it.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
A few years back you would see allot of people making more power with carbs over EFI but that isn't the case anymore. The old systems were lame compared to what is available today and limited performance. With faster ECU's and broad tuning capabilities of today's EFI the carb is taking to the passenger seat of performance.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
A few years back you would see allot of people making more power with carbs over EFI but that isn't the case anymore. The old systems were lame compared to what is available today and limited performance. With faster ECU's and broad tuning capabilities of today's EFI the carb is taking to the passenger seat of performance.
that was my own thoughts as well until we decided to actually run one...for drag race application.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
that was my own thoughts as well until we decided to actually run one...for drag race application.
I agree carbs make more power in some circumstances. With properly tuned intakes for a particular application I'd like to believe that efi could match it though.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
DL lets do a carb setup on my XX and find out if it makes more power. So we will do the new cam, the stroker crank, and a carb setup.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I'll give you a good deal on the +3 TB :hey:

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found this a while back .
Camera Camera lens Font Camera accessory Digital camera

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Also on the flywheel , The 400ex one is a strong possiblity. Not seen one up close only pictures but looks like it might fit.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts