Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with my stock chain staying tight. I have it set 2 notches past 15 and at that adjustment I had about 5/8-3/4 inch of slack. The chain is on its 2nd season of hard riding so I dont think it should still be stretching. Ive torqued the main bolt to 66ft lbs as stated in the manual. I have no idea whats going on...I recently just noticed that trailering it may be stretching the chain, I strap it down on a snowmobile trailer and noticed the chain is tighter when all strapped up. Thats the only thing I can think of...Anyone else having similiar issues? Maybe its just from riding?? How often do you guys have to tighten your chain? Is there a chance my chain is junk? What are the signs of wear on these chains that are visible? Its always been cleaned and oiled. Everyones opinion/expertise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I have only adjusted mine a couple times in the year i've owned it. It stays tight. Not sure what is going on with yours, but it shouldn't need that much adjusting?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
if you leave it in gear the chain appears to be tighter than it seems it comes with a decent chain on it that doesnt hardly stretch unless you have a big bore kit or making more hp than a big 3 i have had mine for 2 yrs and only adjusted it 6 or7 times

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Put it in neutral and adjust it again. roll the bike back and forth while adjusting, then tighten the small bolts then the mainbolt and it should be fine.
Guess u already know this but u maybe missed something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Im gonna give it another try! Hopefully I wont have anymore problems, never had an issue with any other machine.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Put it in neutral and adjust it again. roll the bike back and forth while adjusting, then tighten the small bolts then the mainbolt and it should be fine.
Guess u already know this but u maybe missed something.
Small bolts?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my chain (knock on wood) and I'm throwing a lot of power at it. I've only had to adjust my chain when I switch front sprockets.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Small bolts?

Theres 2 bolts (Is allen screw the right one`?) as i call them cus i dont know the english word for it, anyway the ones that hold the adjustment in place after tightening the mainbolt.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Theres 2 bolts (Is allen screw the right one`?) as i call them cus i dont know the english word for it, anyway the ones that hold the adjustment in place after tightening the mainbolt.
Humm I never had to loosen those bolts, I think what your talking about is called the stopper pins? I just loosen the main bolt, and adjuster's will slide past the pins and click in place. I've only had to adjust my chain after droping to the 13 tooth.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Humm I never had to loosen those bolts, I think what your talking about is called the stopper pins? I just loosen the main bolt, and adjuster's will slide past the pins and click in place. I've only had to adjust my chain after droping to the 13 tooth.

OK.
I found easier with them loose when adjusting, but thats me =>
Ive adjusted mine once only when going 13T

·
Registered
184 Posts
I always jack mine up,and have it in neutral, last time i went to tighten it thou, the spacer was dry on the nut side and kept throwing the adjuster out of whack when i cranked it tight, so i put a little grease on the spacer itself and and around the adjusters when the bolt goes up against (not the threads of the bolt) and it worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I'm not near my quad but if there are sliders with adjustment screws they would need to be tightened in order to keep the chain tight.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I'm not near my quad but if there are sliders with adjustment screws they would need to be tightened in order to keep the chain tight.
Better go look. Just one big bolt called a final case mounting nut. Adjuster are bolted the same way. There are no sliders? There are whats called stopper pins to help align both sides. The pins are held in place with a allen bolt. You dont need to undo the stopper pins to adjust chain. Heres some info right from the manual.

Loosen the final case mounting nut.
Turn both chain adjusters equally untill the slack is correct, then temporarily tighten the rear final case mounting nut. "It's just that easy" A scale is included on the adjusters. be sure the same adjuster grooves align with the stopper pins on both sides of the rear frame.

Chain slack should remain constant as the wheel rotates. If the chain is slack only in certain sections, inspect it.
blah blah blah

Tighten the final case mounting nut to the specified torque.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts