Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Chain Removal - No Master-link?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  D Bergstrom 
#1 ·
I was going to remove the chain today because it collected a lot of wet sand last trip, and I can't seem to find a master-link.

Whats the easiest way to remove it? is there some way without dissassembling the entire rear end?

#3 · (Edited)
How do you identify what link is the master-link? I had 3 people looking at it, turned it around with all of us looking at both sides and we haven't noticed a single difference in the pins or the links themselves. There isn't a single one double stacked (which is how my dirt bike is)

Also appears I need to buy the tool once I figure it out ...

Thanks for your reply

EDIT: Also in the manual the picture has a square-looking pin on the right-side of one of them, on my chain there isn't one though?

#4 ·
Well screw it I guess. If I can't find it with 2 people helping me look and I need a special tool I'm just going to do it a different way. Already took the boot thing off so I am just going to remove the sway bar, and slide the chain off the sprocket. Pretty sure that will work

Any tips to make it easier next time would be appreciated though. Thanks again, this forums always great

#5 ·
I couldn't find the "master link" in my chain either, all looked the same. I went to the local bike shop and picked up a standard o-ring 520 master link and a chain breaker. Ground off two of the pins on one link and then used the chain breaker to remove it, then used the new master link I got to reconnect. Have heard of others doing this with factory chains on other quads, don't expect any problems.

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.