Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any body got any opinions on chains and which one to upgrade to my stocker is about wore out including sprockets, iwas thinking about gettin the DIDX ring ?:xx:

·
Registered
821 Posts
How long has your stocker lasted, I am guessing a while. Anything oem or better. At least oring...

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have always used the DID x-rings on my race quad, have always held up great. Lately, have been using the Primary Drive x-ring chains (Rocky Mountain ATV brand.) on my other quads. Haven't had any problems with them at all, pretty happy with them and they are cheaper then the DID chain and they have held up just as well. Have had such good luck with them, I may even start using them on my race quad.

Doug

·
Registered
481 Posts
not sure of the availabilty of renthal over there but they do a r4 quad chain..
Its an X ring with much thicker links.
Using one on a raptor, once set up it never seems to stretch or need adjusting and does last longer than a standard o-ring.
I had a chain snap which then smashed off the case saver and destroyed the sprockets, hence buying the best i can..

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure of the availabilty of renthal over there but they do a r4 quad chain..
Its an X ring with much thicker links.
Using one on a raptor, once set up it never seems to stretch or need adjusting and does last longer than a standard o-ring.
I had a chain snap which then smashed off the case saver and destroyed the sprockets, hence buying the best i can..
i appreciate the opinion, i dont want nothing like that to happen to my XX, the oem chain is dam good i was wondering how renthal and did x ring was compared to oem and Doug said the primary drive x ring was decent i just want whatever chain i buy be just as good as oem or better especially about streching , i think i had to tighten my oem chain 3 times which was 300 hrs on my hr meter ive been ridin hard for 2 years on the oem which im pleased with the wear of the oem, the oem chain from honda cost more than the other chains mentioned above:xx:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yamahas use DiD as oem chain and its very good quality..Not many aftermarket ones are as good !
I use to get around 3000 miles per chain and sprocket set before they needed changing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have always used the DID x-rings on my race quad, have always held up great. Lately, have been using the Primary Drive x-ring chains (Rocky Mountain ATV brand.) on my other quads. [FONT=&quot]Aftermarket parts[/FONT] had any problems with them at all, pretty happy with them and they are cheaper then the DID chain and they have held up just as well. Have had such good luck with them, I may even start using them on my race quad.

Doug
Which rings would you recommend? I'm not talking about the price, but more about the quality. I have saved up a good amount, so I'm just looking to hook up my cars.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I previously said X-ring but meant Z ring claims to be the best..

Here is the blurb from the renthal r4 atv chain, am sure others make a similar chain?
I can vouch for these as fit, adjust then never need adjusting again...

Here is a place that sells them starting at $86.95
http://www.motocrossgiant.com/Renthal_R4_ATV_Z_Ring_Chain_p/25-01100wp.htm

R4 ATV Chain

A 520 z-ring chain designed specifically for ATV applications. The R4 ATV Off Road Chain has the following features:

• Patented z-ring seals dramatically increase the life of the chain

• Larger diameter pins manufactured from specially enhanced steel improve the resistance to shock loads

• A quad riveting process on each pin increases the tensile strength of the chain

• Thicker inner and outer plates increase the fatigue life of the chain

• Available in 520 pitch only, average tensile strength is as follows:

R4 ATV 520 – 8093 lbf

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Its something like o-rings wear eventually letting in grit and dirt, causing the chain to become loose.
The X-ring then Z-ring have x & z shaped seals which apparently keep a tight seal even as the chain wears.
Does it last longer? It certainly will do loads more miles without needing any adjustment which would mean it is not stretching..
Would go so far as to say the sprockets start getting elongated grooves between the teeth and they start to hook over before the chain shows any sign of wear.
Have a look at the pic below as i,ve tried to show how much more thicker the r4 chain is compared to a o-ring chain. Both being a 520 pitch.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do they come with a master link, and do you have to cut them?
They only come in 100,110,120 lenghts.
Sorry for all the questions, I never replaced one before.
A master link would be nice so you can take it off for cleaning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts