Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I are headed to Chappie-Shasta OHV area (BLM in California) in early May.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/redding/recreationmain/reddingrecreationohvmain.html

This is our first trip here and we can't wait. My brother lives in Los Angeles and I live in Washington so it's a good half-way meeting point.

Anyone been here before or have any info on it?

My brother has a Polaris Predator 500 so I plan to poke fun at him quite a bit as long as I can outride him.

Anyway, any info on Chappie-Shasta would be great. 2 days travel, 5 days riding.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I've been there many times and the riding is great. However, you have to cross the top of Shasta Dam to get to the main staging area. This used to require a permit to cross as it is a major dam. Right now, all you need is a DL and registration for your vehicle. But, they are in the process of re-writing the permit process. It might be wise to call before you come down to the Bureau of Reclamation at (530) 275-1554... they control access to the dam. If a permit is again required when you come down, be aware that it might take 10 days to get one.

The link below has more info on the Shasta area.
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_03650/ride_0e84.htm

Be sure to post when you go.... you might get some company from the forum. I live in SF, Remington lives right up there and at least 2 other are in the area as well.

roadkill

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info roadkill.

I knew about the dam crossing permit. Would have been a bummer to get there and have them require one again.

I've got myquad licensed and registered here in Washington.

Do you know if I will still be required to get a non-resident orange permit from California? I read all I could on the California OHV site and it said if I have a valid ohv permit from my home state I didn't need one but I'd hate to get there and find out I needed one,they are only like $30 so it's not a big cost. Washington is on the list of states that reciprocate with the ohv permits.

I'll definitely post when we are going to be there and where. It will be in Early May sometime. Like the 8th through the 12th of May.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
"Washington is on the list of states that reciprocate with the ohv permits."

That's you key... you accept ours and we accept yours. I was able to ride in Washington with my California ohv permit. The non-resident permit is only for people from states that either don't require ohv permits or that don't honor our permits. You should be fine. But, when in any kind of doubt... call Cal's ohv division to make sure.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
thats my territory there! dont have to go over damn can go in through keswick dam and ride in fron the bottom. when we cross the damn they just check our drivers licence and inspect our stuff pretty simple get a map you will get lost there are a lot of trails up there also the rocks will eat your tires alive just warring have slashed three up there myself. its also somwhat restricted the french camp side is nolonger ridable. will try and post some pices or check out reddingdirtriders for pics we do the new years poker run every year

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
pics of shasta ohv

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
thats my territory there! dont have to go over damn can go in through keswick dam and ride in fron the bottom. when we cross the damn they just check our drivers licence and inspect our stuff pretty simple get a map you will get lost there are a lot of trails up there also the rocks will eat your tires alive just warring have slashed three up there myself. its also somwhat restricted the french camp side is nolonger ridable. will try and post some pices or check out reddingdirtriders for pics we do the new years poker run every year
I kinda figured that you'd have the latest and best dope on Shasta. It's in your backyard after all. I've never been in from the south... How is the ride from the south entrance to the dam area? Is the fire road from the dam that winds up the west side of the lake and has nice views of the lake still open? Kinda looks like some of your pics were taken on that road.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
its not bad about 6mi to dam just good dirt roads mostly truck accessible too. yeah i havent heard back yet thats the road thats suppose to be closed but they let us ride it for the poker runs. i will try to find out more. the pics up in the clouds are on top of bohimatosh mt. lots of good vies up there but its a climb either way but hey nothing scares the xx.lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I can't wait till May. Pictures are great, thanks for posting them.

Looks like it could be a great week.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh how I miss my Nor-Cal home!! I was there back in oct. and it was outstanding!! The rock will kill you for sure though!! I have lost a few myself at the dam!!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Now I can't wait till May. Pictures are great, thanks for posting them.

Looks like it could be a great week.
sure thing! and if you guys dont mind i would like to come out and ride with ya for a day. havent got to ride with another xx around here

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sure thing! and if you guys dont mind i would like to come out and ride with ya for a day. havent got to ride with another xx around here
Absolutely, I'll let you know when we're gonna be there for sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
its not bad about 6mi to dam just good dirt roads mostly truck accessible too. yeah i havent heard back yet thats the road thats suppose to be closed but they let us ride it for the poker runs. i will try to find out more. the pics up in the clouds are on top of bohimatosh mt. lots of good vies up there but its a climb either way but hey nothing scares the xx.lol

The fire road that winds up the west side by the lake is still open, thats fishermans road aka dry creek road and isnt part of the closure. You can still ride the 40 mile loop up over Bohimatosh Mt. The closed roads are on the other side of the mountains farther west towards french gulch. You can get the map from BLM with all the closed roads on it, i put a link below.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/redding_pdfs/csohv_map.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Absolutely, I'll let you know when we're gonna be there for sure.
I might be able to make it up from San Francisco as well... perhaps with 2 of my normal riding idiots (buddies)

roadkill

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
The fire road that winds up the west side by the lake is still open, thats fishermans road aka dry creek road and isnt part of the closure. You can still ride the 40 mile loop up over Bohimatosh Mt. The closed roads are on the other side of the mountains farther west towards french gulch. You can get the map from BLM with all the closed roads on it, i put a link below.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/redding_pdfs/csohv_map.pdf
good work chad knew you would know! now hurry up and get that cast off so we can get you back in shape were gonna have some ridin to do!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I might be able to make it up from San Francisco as well... perhaps with 2 of my normal riding idiots (buddies)

roadkill
Well if RemingtonSteel is going than i will probably be tagging along with him, should be quite the group... BigDog your brother wont be the only one on a predator, ill be riding one too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts