Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I was out riding last weekend and all the dash lights came on and bike cut out then lights went out and bike ran again.
Repeated several times till it stopped. Looks like the battery internals have broken.
I have fitted a new Yuasa battery and i just want to make sure the battery is being charged.I have tried to download a manual to check the charge rate but the link is broken.
I have 12.8 volts with the engine running.Thanks
mervex

·
Registered
481 Posts
Basically you should have more volts with the engine running , compared to how many you had before you started the engine..
13.2 to 13.8 ish should be about right with the engine running.

honda states, turn on headlights, rev to 5k and you should read up to 15.7 volts..

12.8 does not seem enough to charge a battery.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
get manual here http://jumbofiles.com/gsuxuygtnkfo
make sure u click the correct download link, not one of the stupid ads that are trying to trick you.

click free download on the first page. Then on the second page, click the blue letters that say download file, right above where it says Honda_TRX700xx_Service_Manual[1].pdf (38.2 Mb). Then on the third page, click the little grey box that says download, in the middle of the page.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
charge

thanks mate,i got manual downloaded.
After reading the diagnostics,i relized that every Honda roadbike i have owned,from a VFR400, an RVF400,a couple of CBR1000s and to a CBR1100 Blackbird(still own it) have all suffered voltage reg/rectifier failure.The best fix was NOT a Honda unit but a Yamaha R-1 aftermarket unit,no problems for 10 years after.
I checked the charge rate today on my trx and i am getting only 12.8,not enough to charge the battery. I went on a really long ride last week and it probly just drained and wrecked the battery that was only 6 months old.
As i charge the battery every 2 weeks i was probly just hiding the faulty reg/rectifier.
I will check it out this week with my bike electrical guru to check for sure.
Anyone else had a prob with voltage rec/reg?
mervex

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
reg/rec

HI, i just got and fitted my new voltage regulator/rectifier from ElectroSport Ind and ran the motor.I now have 14 volts at the battery which sounds about right with the motor running.
I ran thru the checks in the workshop manual before ordering just to be sure it was the rec/reg.
This has happened to EVERY Honda i have owned (6) and i have read it is because honda cheapskates on these parts just like the shocks and tyres
on our bikes. I would have thought they might have had a change of attitude by now.
By the way,i got my part from Electrosport in the USA because Honda Australia wanted to charge me nearly $200 and from Electrosport in the USA it cost $79 plus express freight (my choice) $49 ,total of $129.
The Electrosport part is also upgraded from the Honda part.How do i know the honda part would not have failed again?
Anyway,if your battery goes flat , it is worth checking the charge rate.
Thanks for the help with the manual,guys.
well, i'm off riding now!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Good to hear!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts