Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems with the cheap factory aluminumish studs breaking and stripping or just being aggervating?

·
Registered
258 Posts
when you say studs im guessing you mean wheel studs, i have never had a problem but a mate of mine had a few of his stretch and snap while undoing on his trx450. we worked out later that it was due to him using a rattle gun to tighten them,

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Stripping could be caused by Cross threading too... but yeah Over torque is pretty bad for the studs

·
Registered
157 Posts
My cousin over tighten his last night on his jetta when switching to his winter setup. He cut two of them flushed! :eek:hno:. I try using a torque wrench for my wheels most of the time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its the wheel studs and there were not stripped, cross threaded or too loose/ tight. I screwed them on by hand all the way until set into the bevel of the rim then torqued them with my torque wrench. i have broken 4 already two on each rear. I think it is due to the constant changing of tires and wheels, even though i kept them clean and always sprayed lugs with PB blaster.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think it is due to the constant changing of tires and wheels, even though i kept them clean and always sprayed lugs with PB blaster.
I change my wheels and tires on my quads probably more then anyone and I have never had a problem. What torque setting are you using on your torque wrench?

Doug

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think i have been using 55 ft lbs.... is that right?

·
Registered
671 Posts
i think i have been using 55 ft lbs.... is that right?
Honda calls out 47 ft lbs, I have always used that torque on all my quads. Can't imagine that 8 extra ft lbs would be enough to snap the stud, but I guess it is possible.

Doug

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I use the Honda settings as a guide line. Being a mechanic , I tend to know the limits of most bolts. Even the Honda settings for the 700xx or 450r engine are sometimes too tight for me. Some bolts on the 450r motor at Honda's settings will strip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts