Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
If you use dish soap, I'd use something like Dawn. I just use Simple Green and K&N oil.

Just make sure the filter is ALL the way dry before you oil it and then don't over oil it.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Also, don't force dry it. Let it dry naturally, meaning don't use air. If you have a boot dryer (Like Peets), you could slip it over and let it dry quicker, but the best thing is just to air dry it in a warm room. You could use an oil or something, such as a parts washer, and also, if you get the K&N recharge kit, I am pretty sure it comes with a solvent for cleaning. I got mine right at autozone for my car and truck.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
if you get the K&N recharge kit, I am pretty sure it comes with a solvent for cleaning
I does indeed. However, the Simple Green is a cheaper way to go and the element is different in a K&N filter and our foam filter... using a solvent may or may not be good for a foam filter. However, the oil would be the same. One of my friends just uses tranny fluid or brake fluid. I decided not to go that way... decided to stay with actual filter oil.

roadkill

·
Registered
52 Posts
If your talking factory installed or the one the dealer set it up with, i believe that is covered with petroleum based oil and will need to be cleaned with some sort of solvent or kerosene or gas. I really doubt dish soap will work.

My bad. Guess you were talking K&N.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Also, don't force dry it. Let it dry naturally, meaning don't use air. If you have a boot dryer (Like Peets), you could slip it over and let it dry quicker, but the best thing is just to air dry it in a warm room. You could use an oil or something, such as a parts washer, and also, if you get the K&N recharge kit, I am pretty sure it comes with a solvent for cleaning. I got mine right at autozone for my car and truck.

I've never heard to not force dry one, Whats the cons of it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was taught by my Dad,(an old snowmobile rider) to wash filters in dish soap,lightly, then let air dry, then spray externally with a light coat of wd40. Has worked great for me.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
People try differant things. I run differant to you guys in the US because it works for me.
If it works for you then stick with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've never heard to not force dry one, Whats the cons of it?
I think what they mean by force dry is to like spray it with an air blow gun. I put all my K&N filters somewhere with a good warm airflow or in front of a fan. If you use a blow gun you can actually separate the cotton gauze type of material and then you will not have anything there to filter out dirt. You can do things to speed up the process though without hurting it.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
First and foremost, I understand this is lengthy, but I am in Korea bored out of my mind, so please bare with me and I Hope this helps a little bit.

Smo0oth1,
Pretty much what Mizuri is saying. By force dry, it means obviously by force. Compressed or, or even a hair drier. Compressed air could actually cause the foam to seperate from itself (like blowing holes in it literally). A hair drier may not seem like it is flowing a lot of air, but it actually is. It is actually rated at (per operating electrical power) pushing more air psi than say a regular room fan, basically because it is blowing air thru a little opening, say 2" versus a fan that has 18". I am using a comparison here, so don't look into it too far. What I am getting at is that with the hair drier, you can only cover a small portion of the filter at a time, versus natural drying or even using a fan, which would cover atleast 1/2 of the filter, therefore providing more of a surface area for the air to circulate around (instead of say a 4 square inch section that has a lot more force on it, therefore having a more chance of tearing). Also, the hair drier produces heat, and the end of most foam filters are glued/molded onto the foam part. Heat and glue don't mix. Now say if you had a paper filter, say for your truck, you obviously can't wash that, so air is acceptable, but to a certain limit. While I was doing my nuclear electrician stunt on the SUB, 30lbs of air is all that was allowed on electricial equipment b/c anymore would/could imbed carbon into windings (windings as big as your forearm). Therefore, if I were to blow out a paper filter, I would use less than 30, 10-15 perhaps, and also blow from the engine side out (cleaner side out).
Baxter, You make a valid point with the twin air, I personnally have never used it. All I know is my parts washer works for me.
And if you guys are worried about drying times, buy 2 foamies, one to use while the other is drying.
As far as K&N cleaner not working and possibly damaging the foam, I have no idea. I just thought if it as maybe working great. And I dont think I have ever seen anyone use dish soap before. Simple green once, but that is it. The main thing would be to make sure there is nothing on the interior of the fillter, meaning wash from the inside out, and definately after drying completely be sure to put on the filter spray. Again, sorry for me being bored, hehe.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Ahh I see, I didn't understand what you were referring to when you said "Forced"

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I actually got lazy last summer, and my local honda shop gives me 35% discounts on most items, so I bought 6 of them. Low and behold, I can't find a darn one now.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I actually got lazy last summer, and my local honda shop gives me 35% discounts on most items, so I bought 6 of them. Low and behold, I can't find a darn one now.

Same shit happens at my house, but more so with tools. OMG 10mm wrenches and sockets are the worst. For a period of time I picked up a 10mm wrench when I got milk, bread or diapers when I went to wal-mart.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
LOL, I moved 3 times in the past year, so somewhere in there they came up missing.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
LMAO, I haven't heard that in forever.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts