Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I sunk my bike a while back (over the handlebars in mud and water) and it is not the same. I have changed my oil and filter about 7 times but still is a little milky and very frothy. I thought I finally thought I got it corrected and took it out for a ride and after a couple hours my clutch started to slip real bad I can go about 10mph in 4th. I am gonna drain all the oil tomorrow and pull the clutch I am sure its gonna be shot. I used generic 10w40. I have been reading all the posts on here about clutches and oils. I am not racing just want a decent clutch and oil combo and get past this sunken nightmare...I am never going to do that again:nuts: any sugestions?

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you used an oil not compatible with wet clutch then it probably would slip so you need to make sure it is when you put the new clutch in. I personally use Mobil 1 racing 4t synthetic oil that you can pick up at any auto parts store. As far as the new clutch goes I can't really say because I haven't had to change mine and have no experience with any other. Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
buckeyXX is right. your problem was probably the "generic" oil. Most oils are not compatible with a wet clutch. I suggest one of the following; lucas high performance atv and motorcycle, genuine honda, or rotella. I personally havent used the rotella, but I know a lot of guys that are, it is a fraction of the cost of most "good" oils and because of being high in zinc content is supposed to be very good for our engines. some of the pro builders are now recommending it. good luck

·
Registered
237 Posts
When you say milky and frothy I would not ride it keep flushing your system with the right oil. Unless you want to rebuild your motor.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I personally use Mobil 1 racing 4t synthetic oil that you can pick up at any auto parts store.
Just wondering what that stuff cost per quart, compared to the Honda GN4?

·
Registered
231 Posts
It is just over 9 bucks at advance auto which is just around the corner from me. I am willing to pay that for a good oil and plus if you factor in the gas it cost to go to a motorcycle shop which is 25 to 30 min from me then it is worth it. I have noticed a difference in the way it shifts also.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I run amsoil 10w 40 for wet clutches its about 9to 10 dollars a quart as well and its good stuff.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Thanks for the help everybody...I am going to drain and flush again tomorrow and see where I get
Not 100% on this but im pretty sure rotella isnt compatible with a wet clutch setup. Its great for diesels (ive been using it for about 5 years now) but i wouldnt put it in my atv. Get something that will work with a clutch like the guys above suggested

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not 100% on this but im pretty sure rotella isnt compatible with a wet clutch setup. Its great for diesels (ive been using it for about 5 years now) but i wouldnt put it in my atv. Get something that will work with a clutch like the guys above suggested
I heard it works well but I think I am just going to stop messing around and just buy some good stuff that I know will work. I might just use pro honda. and stock friction pads

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I heard it works well but I think I am just going to stop messing around and just buy some good stuff that I know will work. I might just use pro honda. and stock friction pads
I would keep flushing a few more times with the proper but as cheap as you can find oil. ie http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-25ie?itemIdentifier=365429&_requestid=974937

And when good and clean then add the good stuff of your choice. So far I've just used GN4 Honda 10w30 and 10w40 in hotter summer. I think I will try http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac.../_/N-25ie?counter=2&itemIdentifier=153231_0_0_ this summer.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
It is just over 9 bucks at advance auto which is just around the corner from me. I am willing to pay that for a good oil and plus if you factor in the gas it cost to go to a motorcycle shop which is 25 to 30 min from me then it is worth it. I have noticed a difference in the way it shifts also.
I found it at autozone for $11. I will check advance auto. I think I was paying around $22 a gallon for the Gn4 at Iron Pony. And thats a non synthetic. So I'd say the mobil 1 is well worth the price, I will try it soon I still have 1/2 gallon of GN4.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Rotella is fine in your quad. It does not have the friction modifier that will make you clutch slip. I used to get it at WallyWorld. Now O Riley.

I run it in all my bikes and quads, no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I found it at autozone for $11. I will check advance auto. I think I was paying around $22 a gallon for the Gn4 at Iron Pony. And thats a non synthetic. So I'd say the mobil 1 is well worth the price, I will try it soon I still have 1/2 gallon of GN4.
Wal-Mart sells the Mobil 1 4t, its like $9.50

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is all i will ever run in mine!

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with honda oil but its hard to get where I live. It takes me 30 min just to get to a motorcycle shop so I save gas and money just paying more for Mobil 1. Really its just a preference thing for alot of people.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts