Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing some knocking sounds in my motor. So after a lot of reading on this great forum, I took apart the clutch. I expected to see some lateral play in the inner hub bearing. No big deal. What I didn't expect to find is that the rivets that hold the flywheel to the back of the clutch hub have loosened up, showing a significant amount of play in my clutch basket. I've been working on quads and dirt bikes for many years and I know enough to realize that this is not normal... LOL! My real question is, if I run the motor without the clutch and basket assembly installed can I damage anything? (ie, lack of lube somewhere?) I just want to verify that my noise is coming from my clutch basket. I want to put everything back together and run the motor without the clutch basket. Also, has someone in the aftermarket world made a bullet proof clutch basket? I did look on Ebay for a used one and when I spoke to the seller and explained to him my problem, he inspected his part and found the same problem that I have with mine. Is this a common problem????:thanks:

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
No one makes an aftermarket basket for the xx and this is a common issue with the clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
As far as I know the problem has not been resolved

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Kinda wondering where you are from ?

My real question is, if I run the motor without the clutch and basket assembly installed can I damage anything?

You may have no drive.

The stock set-up comes with more than normal play(more than most Honda's) and this is not the cause of the "knocking" . When the basket wears out on the hub, it causes a differant sound all together.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am from new york 30miles north of nyc usa

I do realize that i cant go anywhere. lol More concerned about lubrication. The input shaft on the trans will not be spinning and i what to lock anything up.. looking to run the motor at normal operating temp. so i can check for other noises.. just don't want to hear the cam chain slapping around.

I can clearly hear my Knock on the power stroke.

I did some Google research and found a guy down in Florida who is set up for replacing clutch basket rivets. His only concern is if he has the proper size rivet.

His shop is set up for drag racing japanese bikes builds and fab. clutch and trans stuff

My idea is to drill out and replace the stock weak rivets with oversize rivets and sleeve the aluminum clutch basket where the rivet goes through.
This should be a cheap fix...
All i have to loose is postage...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.