Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to locate my high rpm rattle/vibration. Baxter thought maybe the clutch basket is worn. Pulled the cover and here is what I see. Is this normal free play?

View My Video

:confused:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here it is with the plates removed.
View My Video

The inner basket is still locked down.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
i think honda updated the through out bearing the first ones were a little noisy. i still have my original. think honda did a recall on that bearing and its got a new part #

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Here it is with the plates removed.
View My Video

The inner basket is still locked down.
You didn't pm me the second vid. Ignore the pm reply , You basket , bearing and centre bush need replacing. Mine is worse than this but still using , it has no other problems than high vibes and saving to build a new motor using differant components from differant Honda's.

Honda did do an update on the bearing but went back to the old part # shortly after doing this.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I can't view the vid ATM as I'm using my phone, but When I pulled my motor apart a few weeks ago I found that I had a fair ammount of play in the clutch basket it's self as the rivits had come loose. But was able to fix this with a rivit tool and a press

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't pm me the second vid. Ignore the pm reply , You basket , bearing and centre bush need replacing. Mine is worse than this but still using , it has no other problems than high vibes and saving to build a new motor using differant components from differant Honda's.

Honda did do an update on the bearing but went back to the old part # shortly after doing this.
Baxter, you think the basket itself needs replaced as well? The bearing and bushing are fairly cheap. The basket is $210 dollars! I will order it if you think so.
Did the second video make you think it was worse?
I stopped into my local Honda dealer and the mechanic said there should be some play. He didn't want to help too much, just wanted me to bring it in for them to repair it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anything else I should replace while at it? The plates look good. Didn't check them for warpage yet.
Am I able to replace those parts without pulling that whole side cover off?

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Baxter, you think the basket itself needs replaced as well? The bearing and bushing are fairly cheap. The basket is $210 dollars! I will order it if you think so.
Did the second video make you think it was worse?
I stopped into my local Honda dealer and the mechanic said there should be some play. He didn't want to help too much, just wanted me to bring it in for them to repair it.
I would change the bush and bearing first and see if this improves it. Like Aus said it maybe loose rivets. Some members have had the basket/unit re-rivetted. You'll only know by removing the basket/unit.

Anything else I should replace while at it? The plates look good. Didn't check them for warpage yet.
Am I able to replace those parts without pulling that whole side cover off?
The clutch plates should be ok and yes these can be removed /replaced by just removing the clutch cover.

I am trying to wear one out excessively to see what and where the problem is. I have one basket/unit,bearing and bush and will post a vid on comparing both.
Even a new basket/unit,bearing and bush have more play than most other baskets, I've had or seen. Compared to the 450r it seemed worn out.

There's some other stuff that I'll post later after work.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I had the same problem, my rivets cam loose and the gear on the back was vibrating. Also had a high pitched whine. I replaced everything but the pressure plate and it was still loose, and I still have the whine as well. These 700xx baskets are very loose compared to any 450 that I have looked at.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same problem, my rivets cam loose and the gear on the back was vibrating. Also had a high pitched whine. I replaced everything but the pressure plate and it was still loose, and I still have the whine as well. These 700xx baskets are very loose compared to any 450 that I have looked at.
When you got your new clutch outer basket, was the gear completely solid to the basket? You say you replaced everything and it was still loose. What was still loose?

My gear is loose to the basket at the rivets. I need to know if a brand new one is also loose as part of its design. I hate to buy a new $210 basket and find out thats just how they are!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine felt like about 1/64" to 1/32" play.
I read the manual and it never says anything about checking that basket/gear for wear at the rivets.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't view the vid ATM as I'm using my phone, but When I pulled my motor apart a few weeks ago I found that I had a fair ammount of play in the clutch basket it's self as the rivits had come loose. But was able to fix this with a rivit tool and a press
What kind of rivet tool and press did you use? I've never seen a rivet gun as big as those on the basket.
If that gear is supposed to be tight to the basket I was thinking of taking a hammer and punch to the rivet lip. Maybe 3 spots around each one.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
When you got your new clutch outer basket, was the gear completely solid to the basket? You say you replaced everything and it was still loose. What was still loose?

My gear is loose to the basket at the rivets. I need to know if a brand new one is also loose as part of its design. I hate to buy a new $210 basket and find out thats just how they are!
The new basket was solidly mounted to the gear. It was still wobbly when I placed it back on the shaft. The new basket and gear had no play between the two.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks jfdanie2
Heres how mine looks. Its not very visible of play but if you turn volume up you can hear it pretty well.

View My Video

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bearing sleeve is a precise fit on the shaft. I believe that all of the play you see in my first two videos come from the needle bearing race. I don't visually see it as worn out, Just a loose fitting bearing. The tech at Honda said the clutch basket had to have some play in it. Not sure why.

I don't think the basket gear looseness is causing the high rpm vibration. I would lean more towards the sloppy shaft bearing in there. Problem there is if jfdanie replaced all of that with new and it still wobbled, that can't be my issue. Otherwise, everyones would vibrate.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You said you still had the whine, but did you still have the vibration?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Can you feel the vibration through the cover, Is it a low clunky vibration or high zippy vibration? (lol didn't know exactly how to word that)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't feel the vibration in the cover. Thats parked in neutral though. Which is part of the difficulty here. You don't notice it unless driving. High rpm while parked its not there. Have to be driving and its every gear only high rpm and as soon as you let off the throttle its gone. Therefore, I no its not a rotational issue with a wheel or what not.
Baxter had a great idea to check the clutch, but I'm not sure its that. Starting to wonder if I have a rod or crank bearing going out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have a Hero 2 video that I shot a while ago and I think you can hear it on that in some spots. I will pull that up and find a time frame to listen at.

OK, the best spot I found to hear it is at 7 minutes 13 seconds to 7 minutes 16 seconds. Too much wind noise in most of the video. Click the youtube icon on the screen to open full size window if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsN-vZ-Hpto&feature=youtu.be

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
On a bike that is a single cylinder with such a large bore size you are going to have some vibes. My high pitched whine comes from directly behind the clutch cover and increases with throttle. Input a machinest stethoscope on mine to pinpoint the whine. I have replaced everything but the pressure plate. Also makes a clicking noise sometimes when I let the clutch out in gear. I wouldn't worry too much about the vibration. The motors are pretty noisy right out of the crate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts