Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should my clutch lever be tight or should it have a slight amount of play? Mine now is tight and I am thinking that it should be slightly loose? HELP!

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you measure from the front of the ball on the end of the lever, then pullit back, when the cable has tension but doesnt yet start depressing the clutch springs, it should measure about 10-20mm to the back of that ball on the end of the lever, i just measure 4-6mm between the perch and lever on the outer edge under the rubber boot where you can see the cable going thru, i think thats pretty much the standard, you should definately have a small amount of play though, definately dont want your clutch slipping, but dont over do it or your clutch wont disengage all the way and even when you pull the lever in, it will still be slipping, that is bad news too...

·
Registered
437 Posts
it should have a little play....good rule of thumb is adjust it until there is about a nickels distance between the clamp and the lever when you start to pull before it starts engaging the cable....i actually still just stick a nickel in there every time i do it

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was thinking just wanted to verify. It seemed to be too tight from the dealer and I was reading some older threads about other guys having the same problem. Hopefully it wasn't too tight and damaged the clutch? I havented noticed any problems with it so I'm just gonna loosen it a little and see how it goes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
yeah, a nickel is about right, honda book says 10-20mm but thats at the end of the lever and theres no good way to measure that, if a nickel fits, you are good to go, good call usmc !!! i forgot about that one, i am so used to just knowing by sight and feel, but a nickel is about what 2-3mm right ? sounds good to me...

red n black, if your clutch wasnt slipping, youre prob fine man, just adjust it right, please LUBE the crap out of the cable and lever pivot point, hell LUBE every pivot point on your bike as often as you can, you will save ALOT of money in the long run !!!

best of luck bud !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts