Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a million and one posts regarding tires and rims but that has gotten me more confused then i was before. Just bought a 700xx and love it bought razr tires 23x7x10 and 22x11x10. i was under the impression that if i bought wide offset rims it would add 1 inch per side and make my quad around 49 inches wide is this wrong? Also i didnt think 1 inch per side would effect bump steer that much however it seems according to one post it makes your quad handle like crap. any help would be much aprpeciated also if you can buy these rims where and what size would i need that is if it doesnt make my quad a bucket, if stock size is best what size is that and where can i buy an upgrade to the stockers?
:atv:

Thanks

Qaz

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would buy factory off set and wheel spacers put the spacers on if you don't like them go back to factory with. Give yourself some options instead of being stuck with a wild offset rim.

yeah thats not a bad idea ty however does anyone know from first hand experience or from testing what a wider offset from wheels actually does to overall handling?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I always heard the more you go out away from the hub with the wheel the more feedback you'll have to endure.(vibe's,bump steer, etc)
This is correct, except the part about bump steer. Bump steer is the change in toe as the suspension is cycled through its travel. Wheel offset has no effect on bump steer. The further away from the spindle you get with the edge of the wheel, the more leverage is placed on the spindle, making for more feedback through the bars. So say you have a 4:1 wheel on the front and hit a rock. Then put a 1:4 wheel on and hit the same rock in the exact same way, you will feel it more through the bars.

Stock wheels are 4:1.5 offset, so a 3:2 offset wheel will make your quad about 1" wider overall. I doubt you will notice much of a difference in a extra 1/2" hanging off the spindle. I run both 4:1 and 3:2 wheels on one of my quads. I do notice a slight difference but it is nothing major. 3:2 offset is the widest offset I will ever run.

The rear is a entire different story. The rear wheels just go up and down, so a wider offset wheel will just put more load on the hubs, bearings, etc, won't really do anything to handling. (As long as the offset is with in reason.) By the tire size you posted you will be using on the rear, you are going to the 10" rear wheel. I know a couple of people on here have measured after making the same swap, and they ended up being over 50" wide overall. Even with a 3:2 wheel in the front, the rear of the quad will still be wider. I would guess with a 3:2 front wheel you will be around 49" or so, not really sure as I have never measured. Ideally, you want the front of the quad to be slightly wider then the rear, this helps the quad to turn better.

Doug

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is correct, except the part about bump steer. Bump steer is the change in toe as the suspension is cycled through its travel. Wheel offset has no effect on bump steer. The further away from the spindle you get with the edge of the wheel, the more leverage is placed on the spindle, making for more feedback through the bars. So say you have a 4:1 wheel on the front and hit a rock. Then put a 1:4 wheel on and hit the same rock in the exact same way, you will feel it more through the bars.

Stock wheels are 4:1.5 offset, so a 3:2 offset wheel will make your quad about 1" wider overall. I doubt you will notice much of a difference in a extra 1/2" hanging off the spindle. I run both 4:1 and 3:2 wheels on one of my quads. I do notice a slight difference but it is nothing major. 3:2 offset is the widest offset I will ever run.

The rear is a entire different story. The rear wheels just go up and down, so a wider offset wheel will just put more load on the hubs, bearings, etc, won't really do anything to handling. (As long as the offset is with in reason.) By the tire size you posted you will be using on the rear, you are going to the 10" rear wheel. I know a couple of people on here have measured after making the same swap, and they ended up being over 50" wide overall. Even with a 3:2 wheel in the front, the rear of the quad will still be wider. I would guess with a 3:2 front wheel you will be around 49" or so, not really sure as I have never measured. Ideally, you want the front of the quad to be slightly wider then the rear, this helps the quad to turn better.

Doug
dam i tried so hard to post the rear tire size right i still messed it up lol i will be running 11 inch rim not 10 that is the tire width sry about that ty for the help do you know what 11 inch rim i would use to get similar added offset as the 3+2 front you posted above? i just want a slight increase in width front and rear for stability not so much anything else

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am using a 3:2 offset wheel on the front of mine and it ended up about 49" and i love it. i didnt notice anymore feedback through the bars but i truly miss my houser stem on my 450R becuase not having the anti-vibe stem sucks after you are used to it believe it or not! i stayed with the stock rears and put 30mm (1-3/16) spacers on the rear and it brought it right out even with the front. i really like the overall feel of the quad with it being wider so go for it

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think you would want to stay stock width in the back and say get a set of 3/2 wheels in the front. If your running the razrs in the rear that should have you close to even front-rear.

was just thinking same thing you guys are awesome alot of help i really apreciate it if anyone feels like answering one last question here it is :) im adding a uni filter im 44 years old and this bike scares me as it is lol but i was thinking about adding an exhaust tip and didnt want to run a programmer if i just do the uni filter and tip do i have to run a programmer or what? run mostly desert any advise would be awesome
:thanks:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts