Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after having the big 3 for about 6-7 months I add the cp 11:1 and the stage 2 cam and after 2 rides maybe 6-7 hours the bike was hard to start and even locked up on me on a long straight top speed run. Took into the dealer to see if valves were issue etc. Valves were out of spec but the lock up had the dealer wanting to look further and sure enough the piston had seized at one point and the cylinder and piston now need replacment. I called the guys who sold me the parts and tune and told them what the dealer found. They felt it was a cold seizure due to the bike not warming up enough.

Im really upset but knew this may happen. Question now is do i try and salavge the cylinder and bore it out or just order a new cylinder?

Best price on a new cylinder?

Thanks guys.

BTW the ride before it went down it was fast! Not only did it catch a big 3 raptor 700 but pulled by it and left it behind and flew by a tcat 1000 that was doing 84mph and left it by 10 quads.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I am just wondering. Did you install this yourself or did you have it installed? I am just wondering in the rings were gapped correctly

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I am just wondering. Did you install this yourself or did you have it installed? I am just wondering in the rings were gapped correctly
thats exactly what I was about to ask. if u didn't gap the rings enough, they may have made contact and made to much friction. thats my only guess. I have no info on cost to replace the cylinder. sorry man. good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Biggest Honda dealer in state did the install. Said it was cold seizure and tuner who sold me parts agreed was a cold seizure. Bike was going all out 90mph and shut off, tires locked up etc. Pulled over re started, bike was making what we thought was valve noise.

Looks like will go with bore and 12.5 piston this time, will keep you posted.

Funny part is bike sat started a good 5-10min before we even ran it but guess that was not enough warm up?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i can sell u my old cylinder. it need to be bore or resleved. white knuckle or thumper racing dose it. pm me if interested. ill give yeah a good price on it

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yeah that is plenty of warm up time. Biggest dealer does not mean best or brightest. I am going to go with the rings weren't gaped properly as my guess. Your tuner will say that as they can claim it as not their fault compared to an improperly gaped rings which would be all them

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I only let my bike warm up a minute or two and have no problems with it. They are going to blame you instead of saying it was due to them not installing it right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked to a few more tuners and sent pics of issue and seem to all feel lean up top which killed it. Tcat did win but that's ok it's mine too so I still won ;)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
did u get the pic i sent u

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what has been told to me a cold seize is not just seen on two sides but on four. Also being it happened at the top of 5th the feeling is it just ran out of fuel. It was tuned by the same tuner who sold me the parts etc. I must admit the CS when buying the parts was pretty bad and should have been a red flag. Even the CS after I called with the bike down was more of an oh well we will get you more parts when we are ready kind of attitude.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
From what has been told to me a cold seize is not just seen on two sides but on four.
I agree with that. I do think that the piston being too hot versus the cylinder being too cold (relatively speaking) would be more realistic. That would give you a 4 sided seize as well. Either to lean or to hot a plug and holding it wide open for a long period could cause that. Did you do any plug reads after the tune to check the mixture? Are you running the stock plug?

Just trying to give you some more ideas on things to check so you don't get burnt again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stock plug and no didn't check plug after tune, piston etc. Lasted two rides one maybe 20miles total and 3-4hrs if that. Have a new tuner working on the bike and waiting for dealer to put back together. Last tuner was really bad on the CS and overall attitude. New guy seems to know his hondas and bike should be a beast if dealer ever gets around to putting back together. Will keep updated once I get bike back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts