Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today started out with what should have been a great day. First, I took my Razr 2's down to Les Schwab to egt them mounted. $16 bucks later, I was ready to go. Then the big one for the day, I went down to the Yamaha dealer and bought my wife a Special Edition Raptor 250 as a suprise gift. Got it home, took her out to see it and she started crying! Mark me down for some good karma, right? WRONG!!

I've almost always done all of my servicing on my quads. Re-built the clutch with some help of a buddy on my Raptor. Point being is that I have pretty good mechanical skills. Well today I really f'ed up. I can't believe I did this. I was changing the oil on my XX. Got everything drained and back in place, then as I started to tighten everything down, I decided to be a real pro and tighted the bolts with my new torque wrench. Set the sucker to 9 pounds for the oil filter cover bolts. As I started to tighten them, I thought to my self, "wow, that seems awfully tight for nine pounds", just then SNAP. I broke off the LONG bolt that goes entirely thru the clutch housing to the engine case. It is impossible to get out without taking that side of the engine apart. To make things worse, I'm going riding next weekend and I need to get it fixed, I'll need the bolts, yes bolts, I snapped off a short one too, and a gasket for the clutch housing (more than likely, just to be safe). I don't have time to do it, my work schedule won't allow it. The Honda dealer is 90 miles away, so that isn't practical either. So I went down and saw my buddy at the Yamaha dealer, and the mechanics there said they would work on it, even thought they don't sell or service Honda's. But they don't know if they can get it done by Friday. If they don't, I'm screwing over the guys I'm supposed to ride with. I feel so f'n stupid for doing this I can't believe it. If I would have tightened them by "hand" with a regular ratchet, this wouldn't have happened. But I should have known better. What a dumbass. So much for karma! Well, thanks for listening, I'm gonna go get another beer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Does the book say 9 foot pounds?!? thats about 108 inch pounds, so by the general practice Torque numbers, thats high for that metric thread pitch in a Aluninum block.

I been on aviation for about 15 years we use torque wrenches on just about everything. The wrenches get calibrated every year and lubed. Found its a good idea to start at the lowest setting first to kinda loosen it up and hear the click (or vibration on digitals). We have young A&P mechanics do what you did alot also.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Just go buy another quad, or ride the Raptor 250 :D That will be a good break in! :D

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the owners' manual says 9 pounds, which I thought was high too. With bolts that small in diameter, I don't think I will tighten them ever again with a torque wrench. I was using a bigger wrench like a 12-inch, so I should have known better. I guess I figured she should "break" at nine pounds no matter what. Hopefully the boys at the Yamaha shop will get it done for me.

That little Raptor 250 may be a fun little quad, but it wouldn't survive a weekend where we are going. Not with my 210 pound ass on it anyway!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
That little Raptor 250 may be a fun little quad, but it wouldn't survive a weekend where we are going. Not with my 210 pound ass on it anyway!
I bought my gf a honda trx250ex and i think i'm going to get seriously hurt on it before the XX does. lol and i'm 190lbs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought myself a fancy torque wrench as well......It sits in its pretty little box in the garage...I just use smaller craftsman when changing oil. The only time I have used my torque wrench is tightening my chain, installing nerfs, and the install of my head pipe...

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Yamaha dealer fixed it for me. But to get the bolt out they had to take the clutch housing off. But that caused another ass-ache, because the bolts on the bottom of the clutch housing hit the frame and you cannot get them out without taking the engine mounts loose and raising up the engine inside the frame. So they were into it a bit. Ended up costing me about $280 bucks. Time to get out my trusty 1/4-inch drive ratchet again!

[email protected]#@#@&^$%#&^%@)son-of a (*&%#@&^_(@^#(^@(*#^#(*er!!

·
Banned
711 Posts
well if i can just chime in, ya thats alot of money but every thing came out just fine, atleast your bumper mounts arnt bent. haha

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well if i can just chime in, ya thats alot of money but every thing came out just fine, atleast your bumper mounts arnt bent. haha
Yeah, I saw that...how the hell did you do that anyway?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
.I did the same thing the second time i changed the filter.We ended up using a left handed drill bit and luckily it come out
You broke off the LONG bolt? How the hell did you get a bit long enough to get it out? Well, at least I'm not the only one! Mine was also on the second change!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had help from a mate who is a fitter and tuner .He makes specialized tools.Originally we were goin to also use a easyout after we started to drill but the bolt grabbed and out she came.If theres no pressure on the bolt 90% of the time they will come out piece of cake.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're right there, the snapped off bolt practically fell out once they got to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts