Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem not long after i baught my quad and it was putting all the dash light on except for neutral; and it would do at a certain rpm in any gear.. so i got rid of the reverse limiter and it fixed it.. but now it's doing it again in a high rpm instead now, i have no clue whats goin on so i'm gonna call honda tomarrow.. but if anyone has any suggestions, let me know!:mad:

·
Registered
258 Posts
just a guess, but i would say u have a wiring short, and the vibration from the rpm and causing the wires to short, as far as the removing the rev limiter fixing it i would say this caused the wires to move and come away form each other so they cant short, and over time they have moved back,

like a say its just a guess but if you have the quad running and move the wires, especially near the ecu by the sounds of it, and see if the lights come on

·
Registered
258 Posts
also check your batt treminals are tight caus a loose terminal could cause it to loose power (voltage) for a sec then come back on causing the lights to come on just like when you turn the key

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
it says u removed your reverse limiter so i would go and check all the wires you cut. also honda may not warrenty/fix it since you cut the wires. hopefully its not the case.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Does anybody have a wiring diagram that is legible? I can't read the one on the scanned owner's manual.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Aust700 I also remember reading that standing up a 700xx is not a good idea unless some oil lines are pinched. Saw your profile pic so you might want to look into that as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i dont stand my 700 up like that on purpose

that was by mistake. i accedently gave it a bit too much gas on my new ramps (which have teeth in them) while loading it up, which resulted in that pic u see, and me flat on my back behind the ute laughing my arse off,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was the battery, i forgot to tighten them up last time

·
Registered
205 Posts
i dont stand my 700 up like that on purpose

that was by mistake. i accedently gave it a bit too much gas on my new ramps (which have teeth in them) while loading it up, which resulted in that pic u see, and me flat on my back behind the ute laughing my arse off,
Ha thats great :lmao:

And nice to hear you got it fixed j-farm

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
it was the battery, i forgot to tighten them up last time

I'm glad that was it. My Can-Am was going crazy one time, only responding to throttle inputs half the time, idling like crap. It terrified me. It took me awhile to figure out that I had the same problem, i was trying to load the thing up to take to the dealer when I finally found it. My friends crucified me when I had the big fancy quad that wouldn't run, but it would've been much worse if I had taken it to the dealer for a loose battery cable, so I was lucky.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya, they wabted me to bring mine in to, glad i found out

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
well done on getting it fixed, its always good when its something simple,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya.. but when it's something simple you kick yourself really hard! i always make this little stuff a big deal!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
ive sat trying to start my recon for 30min just to find out that the kill switch was on OFF.... and ive done that 3 times over the last 9 yrs..
and i did that once with my old grand touring 500f god i miss that sled....

·
Registered
8 Posts
For Anyone else who experiences this I can confirm that you should check your battery connections first. I installed a Battery Tender and after 9 months of no problems I started going over some whoops and the lights started blinking. As I kept riding over the weekend it kept happening more and more and its the same as J-Farm described where the quad would go to idle and be useless. Checked the terminals while I was cleaning and sure enough positive was loose as Houston after the 620.

Ya...embarrassing for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok,

That wasn't the problem. Terminals are tight as can be and sure enough after 3 hours of riding the problem started happening again. I can't help but think that perhaps its a sign of a bad battery? Can anyone else confirm that this might happen?

I will explain my experience this last weekend. 95 Degrees Riding Quad for 3 hours, problem starts where it bogs down and becomes un-ridable. Return to base and refill gas (just needed it) and check battery terminals (tight). Start riding ...no problems...about 5 minutes later the problem starts back up and I get halfway back and shut down the quad to talk with a friend to explain the troubles. Friend rides away and the quad wont start...great. When I turn the key it does the clicking crap that CAN be indicative of a bad battery. When, I press start the clicking stops but no turn over (not even an attempt). So I push the quad to a road and sit there waiting for the friend to return. I would say maybe 20 minutes goes by and I try to start the quad again...voila...it starts...and rides back to base perfectly.

So someone please tell me what is going on here? I have a stock battery that was drained dead once but has since been on a battery tender for 1.5 years...and always starts when I try. The battery never fails to start after its been unplugged for hours or even after riding usually. This is the first time the quad failed to start (barring my idiotic attempts at starting it with the kill switch on).

I really don't think its overheating...despite the heat... considering that the fan was rarely on and the coolant never really moved and the light (by itself) never came on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If it was a battery it would not be good one min and bad the next.... check battery post for excesive corrosion but it really sounds like solinoid or bad ground somewhere

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Mines doing something similar.I had a fully charged battery and first couple of races , it start perfect. Then it just starts clicking and will not start. It wouldn't start whilst I was sat on the seat but if I took my ass of the seat , It starts perfect again. Still trying to find out what the seat is pressing against and can't find anything. Its driving me nuts but I found standing up a quick fix.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts