Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you have aftermarket a-arms on your xx? I am getting ready to order some Elka shocks & they are trying to get me to think about about +2 a-arms before I order? Not just to increase the sale, but they say most people end up wanting or needing them & it is pain in @ss to have to re-do shock to match up with +2's & aftermarket arms.?

Would I ever really need them on xx? looking for opinions, as I hate to have to back-track when doing something

as to what I want to do wuth the xx? Hard core trail riding and possible a few attempts at Xc in future ,,no hardcore racing ..

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you have the money now might be a good time to go +2 on the front. If you go that route you might want to check in the parts for sale section of this site as i believe somone is still selling stage 4 elka's with +2 a-arms.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was just on elkas site and you can build your own complete package for 1395 shocks arms wheels tires and free brake lines. I am sure these would be lower grade shocks but they are still built for your weight and you xx. Maybe you can not do the tires and wheels and get better shocks. 1395 for complete package is a great deal and will fix the push.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is clearly a preference. What type of riding do you do? If there is a lot of narrow trails then you might want to reconsider the stock arms and ELka shocks. The extra width adds stability and with the long travel you will have a lot more control over larger obstacles. I have Houser front LT A-arms and love them. The difference is noticable immediately. Houser makes a quality product that was superb to put on. We installed A-arms and shocks in about an hour per bike. They slipped together nicely. As far as the push, I haven't had any pushing issues since the tire change. I can't tell you enough what a difference the tires will make.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
That is exactly the type of riding that I do even down to considering doing some XC. I was considering long travel a-arms to go with the Elka shocks I was going to order, but decided against the a-arms. Houser does make very good a-arms, but I decided to concentrate on good shocks because of the riding that I do. Using the long travel a-arms also makes it necessary to use high end shocks as well. Using the long travel Houser a-arms and lower end shocks (Elka Stage 1 perhaps) just doesn't make sense... If you use the long travel a-arms, you'd also need to get something like the Elka Stage 3 at least... and that combo ain't cheap. However, you can use the stock a-arms with higher end shocks (Elka Stage 3) and get nearly as good of results... and that's what I've done... my Elka Stage 3 shocks should ship Monday and I'll post a report of their performance as soon as I get them dialed in. This is just my opinion based on the riding that I do and what I prefer. When it gets down to it though, you'll still have to make a choice that fits what YOU want for what YOU want to do.

roadkill

·
Registered
667 Posts
in the woods you want to stay narrow, Houser A-arms are +1 1/2" you can offset that by changing the offset in the wheels. I am going to run the xc series at +1 1/2 and see. The long travel set up is far superior to the standard but you will pay for it. Just do what you feel comfortable with, any Elka set up is better than stock, just a matter of how far you want to go with your bike. I do highly reccommend the Houser/Elka set up.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
another option is to run wheel spacers in the front along with better schock this is a lot cheaper way of making the front wider

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions & info..

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
adding the spacers would only make it wider the longer a arms would also give you more travel or not?
this is true but in order to have more travle you gotta have the shocks that can get more travle too this was a way for me to get wider and more stable around turns before i spend the big bucks on shocks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
adding the spacers would only make it wider the longer a arms would also give you more travel or not?
that is correct, more travel the better the suspention works

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
in the woods you want to stay narrow, Houser A-arms are +1 1/2" you can offset that by changing the offset in the wheels. I am going to run the xc series at +1 1/2 and see. The long travel set up is far superior to the standard but you will pay for it. Just do what you feel comfortable with, any Elka set up is better than stock, just a matter of how far you want to go with your bike. I do highly reccommend the Houser/Elka set up.

are the houser a arms +11/2'' total or each side?

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Each Side = 3/4"

Total = 1 1/2"

·
Registered
445 Posts
The reality of the matter is that if you dont need the extra width and wheel travel extended a-arms will give you then dont get them. The Houser arms are quality but with only +1.5" total your not getting that much. You can get more wheel travel with just the stock arms and elka shocks. It will make an immence difference. The money you will save will get you a good steering stabliser and a set of tires.

If you go wider than Houser it will effect your trail riding and be hard to swap back as you will have extended travel (re: longer) shocks to go with the extended a-arms.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
So the Elka's will give you more travel even with stock A-arms?

·
Registered
445 Posts
So the Elka's will give you more travel even with stock A-arms?
Absolutely......Aftermarket shocks have much better internals and longer shaft lengths meaning they have the ability to be the same length as stock when extended but shorter when compressed. This by itself will give you more wheel travel BUT Elka shocks for stock length a-arms will be longer than the stockies anyway giving you even more travel.

Linc

1 - 20 of 35 Posts