Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meening, do you need the paddles matching in close clock face position on each side? Or are offset paddles ok on the dunes as far as traction an comfort?

Mav

·
Registered
97 Posts
Unless you have beadlocks the tires will move on the rim as you turn. I like to have the paddles indexed so that the bike sits even on the trailer. They just never stay the same. To do this you also have to make sure the paddles are lined up the same on the rim bolt pattern.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. If the are going to turn, then i wont worry about it yet. First trip with paddles at the dunes tomorow.

Mav

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a set of Geckos that I didn't index and they rode very rough and bumpy. They were on my Raptor but never had problems with them turning on the rims after I indexed them. Later got a set of Skat Tracs and never had a problem with them turning on the rims and I think I had enough power to turn them if they were going to move. I also have a set of AMS paddles on my rhino and even with the turbo the did not move. The secret may be to make sure they are aired up to around 30 psi when they are mounted so they will seat good on the rim. I think some will turn if you do not have a wide enough rim to seat the beads on correctly and not at an angle. Just my 2 cents worth whick is actually worth nothing with our inflation. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are seated like mothers! Did it myself and it was loud! Anyways. If they don't handle well I will index them right away.

Mav

·
Registered
316 Posts
I run a vpaddle in "mud runs". When Idling around getting to the line, The irs takes care of the worst of the "wobble". When running down the track you cant feel it. I dont know if they turn on the wheel or not, but I run 10 lb of air all the time. I may be wrong, but I would think if they were gonna turn on the wheel it would more than likely be in the mud instead of in the sand where the traction is so low. which is why I run so much air pressure.

·
Registered
381 Posts
they dig in and keep on digging. the flats slip on the snow before the paddle grips so there is a loss of actual traction. there are more pieces of sand in a given area than snow for the same area. so when it is excavated it is gone faster. It is easier to shovel your drive way full of snow than the same depth of sand right.
it is generaly better to grip a small amount of snow and pack in down to provide a base to ride on, of course it too depends on the consistancy of the snow too.
Yes my snowmobile goes through deep powder better with the 2.5 inch paddles than the old 1.5 knobs the track is 144 in long and 15 inches wide but too the track packs the snow together before it uses it for traction. there is obvously more "tire" ,if you will, in contact with the snow at one time.
Big mud tires on trucks work because of the multiple grip points and the tire tries to pack it down some what too. more surface contact with the snow.
Of course you could just skip my explaination and try it. then we'd all know eh?
good luck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I've found paddles in the snow can work, if you flip the paddles around, so the "scoops" are facing the opposite way. Not saying that they are the best in the snow, and they definately eat in when starting out, but if the momentum is kept up, they work well. But not good enough IMO, due to SNOSHOE's excellent explanation. I find if you want to try and ride in the snow, the XX pervails due to the ground clearance, and use a nice aggressive tire.
I never indexed my paddles at the dunes. Didn't figure I'd notice at all ripping on the soft sand, and I didn't.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
they dig in and keep on digging. the flats slip on the snow before the paddle grips so there is a loss of actual traction. there are more pieces of sand in a given area than snow for the same area. so when it is excavated it is gone faster. It is easier to shovel your drive way full of snow than the same depth of sand right.
it is generaly better to grip a small amount of snow and pack in down to provide a base to ride on, of course it too depends on the consistancy of the snow too.
Yes my snowmobile goes through deep powder better with the 2.5 inch paddles than the old 1.5 knobs the track is 144 in long and 15 inches wide but too the track packs the snow together before it uses it for traction. there is obvously more "tire" ,if you will, in contact with the snow at one time.
Big mud tires on trucks work because of the multiple grip points and the tire tries to pack it down some what too. more surface contact with the snow.
Of course you could just skip my explaination and try it. then we'd all know eh?
good luck
dam snoeshoe you know your shit about snow riding science are you a snowman!!!!:xx::xx::xx::xx:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would love to say Snow is my Passion but, truth is I just love it, I have ridden snowmobiles of many types and atvs as well as a few 4x4s through it. Heck I've even driven an Army M981 (tracked personnel carrier) under it. different story. I just noticed what works and what doesn't. Id put skis and Matte tracks on my 700xx if I was still around the stuff. I think if you had tires with alot of floatation it might work well or front wheel drive too ha.
I had a 82" toyota with 5" lift and 35" gen grabbers. could not get it stuck in snow less than 2 feet deep
God made me a Cheese Head the Army made me a Rebel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts