Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could somebody please post a couple nice pics of the shocks and the mounts after all tweaking was done. I know in some other post there are some pretty rough pics of the frame mods but none of a "finished shock" or a clean mount. If you took the time to do it right, please take a couple pics to show your mods. I am taking mine to my buddies machine shop and going to have everything, hopefully, milled the right way. I just need an idea on everything that needs to be removed, I know the final width is just under .750 but am curious to know if anything has to be taken off the outside radius so they do not bind against the inside of the frame when they articulate....any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks -Dan

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
U R my hero! Thanks! So much easier reverse engineering someone elses work. Looks nice, thats what I'm striving for

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This would make a good sticky somewhere...hint hint. And I have the email of someone that will sell a set of unused DS450 shocks from an '08 if someone is interested..PM me

·
Registered
130 Posts
Really clean job, looks real good. My question for ein, is what did you use to machine the shocks? There are barely any marks on the surfaces you trimmed down. I will be doing mine next week and I hope and I can make them come out that clean and smooth.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
i used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with some discs like this. They sand rather than grind. I used 36 grit but you can use whatever you prefer. The lower the grit the less time it takes the higher the grit the smoother the surface is. You can buy them at your local welding supply store. Then to modify the frame i used a air powered die grinder with a carbide bit. Took my measurements with a dial caliper. I thought I had taken some pictures, but evidently not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with some discs like this. They sand rather than grind. I used 36 grit but you can use whatever you prefer. The lower the grit the less time it takes the higher the grit the smoother the surface is. You can buy them at your local welding supply store. Then to modify the frame i used a air powered die grinder with a carbide bit. Took my measurements with a dial caliper. I thought I had taken some pictures, but evidently not.

Thanks for the info, luckily I have everything you described. I look foward to tackling this next week. Hopefully my hand is as steady as your's with die grinder on the frame.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just a question about the DS450 shocks, do I need to run the DS springs or I can keep the stock springs ?
I just don't like the yellow ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quick question, is everyone running the DS 450R or 450X front shocks? I found a new set of 450R shocks for 150.00, not a great deal, right?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wait for the x shocks...BCS performance might hook u up with new ones if your not patient enough to wait on the forums but expect to pay $200 bucks...be patient grasshopper

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
The guy I got my shocks from said they were the X shocks, but they are red so they may be from the R. Regardless, they work just fine, but don't look nearly as good as Ein's grind job. I sometimes get a little impatient.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
x shocks = adjustable red/yellow no diff....except the xmx which is 1/2 longer...
450r...non adjustable crap...like ours

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like mine and for what I do it serves me well. $100...its worth a try, I spend far more on stirppers and beer on a regular occasion...can always still upgrade if they don't suit you...and if you do a good job cleaning them up I'm sure you could get ur money back out of them here

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I have found 2 sets but they are both off the 450R not the X type. What they are telling me is that the only diff is that the XMX has Low and High Speed Adj. Where the 450R have only the High speed. I am only a trail rider anyway. Is my info correct? Does it make a huge diff. He is telling me they have the Yellow springs and are off a 08 model. New take offs. These guys race the DS450 and go with Elka.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts