Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a set of ds450 shocks today which wasn't that bad. My concern is now the quad is about 2 inches higher in the front (Measured from the highest point of my bumper). I have tried everything to get it lower....backed off the preload to the point where the spring barely hasn't pressure on it. I put the stock shocks on twice to compare and I still get the same result. Side by side the ds450 shock looks about 1" longer than stock.

Running 23's in front now with another 2 inches has me concerned about the ride height in front. Just looking at it on the side, seems like I'm already on the throttle and the front end is coming up.

Has anyone who has done the swap had this problem and what did you do? Is it a major concern?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Sorry Step, all I did was back off the preload as much as I could. I run 22'' tires though. If you can't back it off anymore, maybe get a big girl to sit on the front for a few hours LOL. But to truly compare, try sitting on it and have someone measure it. Cuz when you sit on it, it may be the same.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i remember reading on here somewhere that there are 2 different kind of ds shocks, i think the ds450 and the ds450x (or r not too sure which) have different spring heights, i know the trx700 springs fit on but not too sure what the out come is, it i can find the link i will post it

·
Registered
148 Posts
You could add more preloaded to the rear. I think the xx shocks are stiffer, I pretty sure thats what I read. As for lowering the front the only thing I can think of it new springs or tires. What i can't figure Out is all the other adjustments. Id like to set it up for mx/trail setup but it's real easy to get way off... Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
437 Posts
the ds and dsx shock are the same with the exception of on some models adjustability.....the only ones that are different aren the Ds450x-mx....these are longer because they came on the facotory mx version with extendend a arms.....

Loosen the preload on the DS shocks to the point where it is just holiding the spring tight....add about 1/3 the available preload to the rear and you should be sitting about right.....If you bought the xmx shocks...buy a spring kit for the 450 x and swap it out to lower the ride height

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the ds and dsx shock are the same with the exception of on some models adjustability.....the only ones that are different aren the Ds450x-mx....these are longer because they came on the facotory mx version with extendend a arms.....

Loosen the preload on the DS shocks to the point where it is just holiding the spring tight....add about 1/3 the available preload to the rear and you should be sitting about right.....If you bought the xmx shocks...buy a spring kit for the 450 x and swap it out to lower the ride height
Adjusted the rear preload as suggested which lowered the front end around a half inch. Anybody know the spring lengths of the xmx and the mx shocks?

I am no track professional, do you guys think the extra height in the front will cause any major handling concerns. All my riding is on trails or down the street to the woods pissing my neighbors off. I will try and post pics later of the finished product.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have been running the DS shocks with 23" front tires for a while now and the extra ride height has not caused me any issues. I put a L8ton 9/16 sway bar on it handles great. I mostly ride ride rocky trails with the occasional back road sprint. It took some tinkering with the compression and rebound damping adjustments to get them dialed in where I like them. A huge improvement over stock.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been running the DS shocks with 23" front tires for a while now and the extra ride height has not caused me any issues. I put a L8ton 9/16 sway bar on it handles great. I mostly ride ride rocky trails with the occasional back road sprint. It took some tinkering with the compression and rebound damping adjustments to get them dialed in where I like them. A huge improvement over stock.
Would it be safe to say that most people who have done the ds450 shock swap have had the same concerns as mine (increased height in front)? I do plan to buy the sway bar as soon as I tighten some loose ends.

Thanks for the input guiys...I appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts