Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Ds ones are easier, but Honda not bad. There's a thread here somewhere on howto. But u loosen all the preload, compress the spring at top, slide wrench in and turn eyelet or have eyelet in a vice and turn wrench. I think that's all there is to it. It's been a min since I did mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got them swapped. FYI for those as dumb as me, don't compress the springs by hand, it hurts when your wrench slips out and it pinches your palm in there! Just took it around the driveway and it is a completely different ride. I was getting pretty used to the stockers, it's gonna take some time to get used to having some decent resistance up front when cornering. The front end does sit pretty high right now with the preload at 1/3 compressed. I figure that I will just get some shorter front tires to even things out. Tomorrow I am going for a ride/ start adjusting. I will give a report then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alright, I took the Honda out for about an hour today. The shocks completely change how it handles and steers. It seems like I can corner way better now but it also seems that it takes a lot more muscle to do it. I guess that's the difference between steering and sliding! I do have a lot more adjusting to do but so far it's a little less cushy but also no longer pogos. I took it over some decent humps at around 45-50 and instead of that nervous bouncing it used to do, it soaks it all up and is back accelerating instantly. I used to have to let off of the throttle when I landed from a jump because when it bounced, it would start to wheelie... No longer. I did come close to bottoming them out once so I think I need to either tighten the preload or the compression. Sorry for rambling, all in all I am very happy with the swap! Now to dial it all in....

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I'm glad to hear there working out well for you. Remember when adjusting them, don't try little changes. At least at first make large adjustments, that way you can really tell what there doing. One or two clicks you will not notice much. IDK maybe I'm rambling now and you've already dialed in a bunch of shocks in the past...

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I'd recommend counting the # of clicks on the rebound and compression. Then set them at 1/2 way. Like if you have 22 clicks set at 11. And then Ride them, next adjust them to 75%, test ride. Determine if it seamed better or worse. If better but still not the best, at least you know which way to go. If worse try 25% And determine if better than 50% This narrows it down pretty quick. Only adjust the rebound or compression not both. At same time, just dial in one 1st, but keep both shocks the same. Also get the preload set 1st....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds good, that is close to what I did today. I set them both at half way but they seemed harsh. Then I backed off the rebound and compression to 25%. It was quite a bit better but I did come close to bottoming out. Would you know how I determine my preload setting? Is it just by feel as well? BTW, thanks again for the tips!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found a forum that said to set preload to where sag with you on it is at around 25% of your travel. I actually had it set way too stiff which also caused the front end to sit way high. I took it out again today and got pretty close with the compression. It turns much better now, is as cushy as stock but also soaks up the big hits way better. Until today I was convinced that you either get comfortable suspension OR suspension that handles big hits/jumps, not both. (Rambling again) thank you so much for your help M_Quick! And anyone that is considering this, DO IT!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
N/P and yeah you can't go wrong for the price of these shocks.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Are the X MX shocks the best ones to get for as far as DS450 shocks go for the XX?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Xmx shocks are a little taller (making it sit higher) too. I couldn't get the guards to fit on mine do to clearance issues with the A-arms. After taking a few rides this week though, I can safely say that if they were twice the price I would have still been happy. The difference on whoops and jumps is great but running up really rutted out, tough trails is amazing. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Mine came in the mail this past saturday. Can't wait to put them on. Are you running them with the XX springs or the DS Springs

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm 200lbs and losing... I wonder if I should keep ol' yellers on there or maybe get them powder coated

·
Registered
18 Posts
Give them a try, it's not very hard to get them swapped once you know how they come apart. If you need help with any part of the process, let me know and I can send you info or pics.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I know I posted in the main thread, but i'm going to copy that here in case someone finds this later.

Finally got everything finished up last night. Pre-load has 7 threads on it. All clickers are halfway at 11 right now.

201 - 220 of 244 Posts