Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
61 - 80 of 244 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
That is exactly what I had to do to put the KFX 450R shocks on my 400EX.
I know, I read your post on the other forum about 15 times!! I wish I would have had a bandsaw, but I had to make do with what I had.
Thanks for your post, it is pretty much what made me get them and do it to mine since no one else would do it.

Jason

PS not much jumping for me, dont have the terrain or balls for it!

· Registered
253 Posts
Haha, right on, man. Glad I could help. Once people see that it's actually doable, they will start to get the balls to do it themselves. That's how it was with the KFX shocks on the 400s. When I was looking to do it only one guy had done it before. After I made my thread, a lot of people started doing it.

· Registered
45 Posts
I just picked up a set of new never used take off set of DS450 front shocks. They are on the way, and cant wait to put them on. Got them for $90 shipped to my house. I was happy with that

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I just spend a 5 hours doing mine. I started out using a dremel, but realized I would've been there all week haha. So I got an angle grinder and went to work, but used the dremel on the mounts themselves, to make it a lot nicer. It is a shame how much you have to shave off from the back side of the shock and the mount to make it fit. Doesn't leave much room outside of the collar of the shock for security reasons. Only thing I wish about the shocks is that you could adjust on the fly, but you need a wrench for it.

· Registered
45 Posts
Just got done installing my shocks. It took me about 2 hours from start to finish. F.Y.I. the DS450X shocks are different from what our stock shocks are (they about an inch longer). With the DS450x shocks installed it makes the front end sit up about 1/2 inch higher than stock. The DS450X has about 10.5" of travel where as the standard DS450 shock has about 9.5" of travel. I thought that may be helpful to some of yall.

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
JWHERNDO,
When you measured, did you have the preloads the same? I thought the same thing, but on one I had it all the way up and on the other I had it all the way down, so I adjusted them, and they got to about 1/8" difference, but that is the most I could do w/ out a spanner wrench.

· Registered
45 Posts
I had the preloads set the same. Went and rode it about 7 hours today, it feels night and day different. Smoother landings on the jumps, and it doesn't push in the corners near as bad. Best $100 I ever spent!!

· Registered
103 Posts
I think i may have trimed to much away. As i have fitted the new shocks with out grinding any thing away from the top of my shocks only the sides.

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
corsari, I would be careful on that. That looks like a bit much.

· Registered
103 Posts
think i keep my eye on it. i might weld a plate in if i see a problem. but there is sill a lot of weld holding it on.

· Registered
574 Posts
The travel of the shock itself is exactly the same. The length of the two are also exactly the same before disassembly, the problem why it looks so high is that the DS spring is actually a little shorter than the xx spring, and I put the xx spring on the ds shocks. The reason I did this is because I am a bigger guy, so when I am on it, the front sags to about normal with the spring preload backed off all the way with the xx springs. I am gonna end up putting the DS springs back on to give it a try to see what I like better.

Jason
Jason,
How did you get the stock spring off? Looking at mine it looks like I would have to ruin the shock to get the spring off. I just modded a set of DS shocks to fit and I would like to use the stock springs.
Thanks. :xx:

· Registered
112 Posts
look at the other end of the shock that you want to ruin, pull the spring down a little and you will see the round disk that is squared off on two spots, a channel lock or big crescent wrench will do the trick. After you figure out how to hold the shaft, the end will turn right off.

· Registered
574 Posts
look at the other end of the shock that you want to ruin, pull the spring down a little and you will see the round disk that is squared off on two spots, a channel lock or big crescent wrench will do the trick. After you figure out how to hold the shaft, the end will turn right off.
I was pretty sure they could be taken apart without ruining them, but I didn't see anything obvious.

Tonight we wrench!

Thanks again,

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Finally got around to getting mine done!!! It took about 20 minutes of grinding on the shocks to get them down to the right size and 10 minutes on the shock mounts. Just remember...measure twice, cut once! The only thing I used was a Dewalt 4" grinder. It really helps to have a vice to hold the shock while you grind on it. This adventure cost me a total of $100 for the shocks...shipped! It now handles like a different machine! You won't be disappointed with this mod!

61 - 80 of 244 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.