Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
141 - 160 of 244 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
I guess I owe everyone here an apoligy, yes I have installed these on my XX. The upper mounts on the bike need a little massaging and grinding to give clearance, the top of the shock body needs to be trimmed in width as well as the inside being trimmed to clear the frame during travel. All in all, the work great. Night and day difference. I myself am wanting to lower the COG on this hog, so I have the preload backed of all the way. I would have rathered gone with about an inch or so shorter shock body with a little more travel.
One other thing that made a huge difference, was taking the stock front springs and installing them on the rear shocks. It allows the rear to be able to drop into a whoop at higher speeds and soak it up rather than just banging the tops. This combination and a steering damper have made this machine a complete different animal.
I've searched all over and haven't found any confirmation of this swap being done. It was talked about but never picked back up. I've got a line on a set of shocks and would like to know if it is in fact possible. I'm sure a couple other xx riders out there would be pleased to know as well!!

· Registered
61 Posts
hi all

i have read thro all pages of this thread and surprised no one has checked the spring rating of the stocker vs the ds. i would think that to be very important. does anyone have this information?

the ds if i am not wrong has a single spring? is it linear or progressive? what is the rating?

sonic007 last post is also interesting but again what is the rating of the rear spring vs the front?

does any such cheap conversion exist for the back of the bike?

i also do not want to chop up my brand new bike and was planning to just get softer/harder springs as required and keep the shocks stock, but i am very aware of the advantage of adjustable shocks if they are initially valved right for machine and rider.

thanks

· Registered
64 Posts
shocks

HI all,just taken my new toy for a spin and it really needs some front shocks!! Is there any updated info on the DS450 front shock conversion.
What are the better springs,TRX or DS?
Is the standard front ride height the same with either springs?
Sorry to re-hash the subject but I need to do something soon and I can line up some DS shocks pretty easily.
thanks for the help.
mervex (in Oz)

· Premium Member
520 Posts
use ltr450 shock

HI all,just taken my new toy for a spin and it really needs some front shocks!! Is there any updated info on the DS450 front shock conversion.
Sorry to re-hash the subject but I need to do something soon and I can line up some DS shocks pretty easily.
thanks for the help.
mervex (in Oz)
use ltr450 shock good lenght and stiff for a ltr but fine for an XX

· Registered
64 Posts
shocks.

HI,thanks for the info brokenbones.The LTR shocks are also pretty easy to get.I guess the shock rezzies would have to face the front of the TRX,is that right?Do I still need to narrow the top mount like the DS450 shocks?
Just out of interest,how common are the mx zx from bombardier ?
thanks for your help.
mervex.

· Registered
130 Posts
thanks for the help.
mervex (in Oz)
I did the ds shock swap. After the install I wasn't happy with the extra height, so I sent them to Ian over Monster Performance. He shortened them, changed the oil and some other stuff for 100 bucks. He expalined everything to me on how to set the compression and rebound. After all said and done it is a different machine. Night and day! For the $250 bucks it cost me, it was well worth it. Just need to take your time.

· Registered
48 Posts
hi , so is the ds450 front shocks better than trx450 and yfz450(raptor700se), do they all require grinding ? , anyone knows if ds 450 front shock are all the same with lenght, compression and rebound ? , and any possibility to put any 450 shock on the back ?

· Registered
64 Posts
shocks

My LTR450 shocks arrived and i now have them fitted.
A few points.They are NOT bolt on.I had to beat the the top mounts out to fit the shock top in.There is a needle bearing in the top and this cannot just be ground down like the DS450 shocks.
The quad does sit about 3/4 inch lower with about 1/4 inch preload on the spring.
Now riding it??Fantastic compared to stock rubbish!! I can now blast over a jump and land with ease and control.Having rebound and compression dampning makes an amazing difference to this bike. I have also fitted Kutters to the rear as i only got 3 hours use of the stock tires,due to a 3inch big gash from a rock.
Class action to Honda anyone?
This bike is now a balltearer,as it should have come from Honda!!
mervex

· Registered
111 Posts
A few points.They are NOT bolt on.I had to beat the the top mounts out to fit the shock top in.There is a needle bearing in the top and this cannot just be ground down like the DS450 shocks.
The quad does sit about 3/4 inch lower with about 1/4 inch preload on the spring.
Now riding it??Fantastic compared to stock rubbish!! I can now blast over a jump and land with ease and control.Having rebound and compression dampning makes an amazing difference to this bike. I have also fitted Kutters to the rear as i only got 3 hours use of the stock tires,due to a 3inch big gash from a rock.
mervex
Any pics you can post up of this setup ?

· Premium Member
520 Posts
mervex
Good shocks isnt it? ;)

· Registered
48 Posts
I found ds shock base model for 100$ ( comp/rebound) and ds shock X model for 150 $ hi-low comp/ & rebound ( 1 inch higher ), before shipping , which one should I get ?

I guess those base model would be enough to set up good ride

· Registered
130 Posts
I found ds shock base model for 100$ ( comp/rebound) and ds shock X model for 150 $ hi-low comp/ & rebound ( 1 inch higher ), before shipping , which one should I get ?

I guess those base model would be enough to set up good ride
The X model shocks will make it sit up to high in front. The base model shocks already add to the front ride height but, not as bad as the X shocks.

· Registered
64 Posts
shocks

HI priesty,i will try to post up some pics but its not my strong point! i may try to email them to you if thats ok.
fhibbs12.the year model of the ltr shocks is 2006 ,white springs with the horizontal rezzies.i got some near new take offs for $220.
As i said ,you need to open up the top shock mounts from 19mm t0 22mm.(do your own conversion.hehe) I did have another thought that maybe the rubber top bush from the honda shock (gonna bin them anyway) may replace the needle bearing in the ltr shock.This would allow the top of the ltr shock to then be ground narrower,same as the honda shock,which means the top mounts not need beating.I have not checked this,but someone may have more time than me.

· Registered
20 Posts
Just got my ds front shocks installed. I ground them down. Was pretty simple and hope to see how well they work at the dunes this weekend in florence oregon. And the rear shocks will be next.

141 - 160 of 244 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.