Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode a stock DS650 for the first time yesterday. It felt a little akward........I thought the 700xx set up high for a sport quad, but nothing like that thing. My first impression power wise would put it somewhere between a stock Z400 and a stock Raptor 660. Is that about right, or does it have issues?

·
Registered
330 Posts
if it was stock and running good it blows away a 660 raptor with K&N filter and full exhaust in top end and always stayed even with me until i would get into 5th and my buddy would just pull away and he weighed about 60 pounds heavier than I did

·
Registered
302 Posts
any of ya'll heard of a ds 650 w/ a 730 jug on it? me and a guy were talkin about racin and he told me he had that but it had been sittin up for about 3 years. how bad ya'll think that would be to race?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Garrett22..........If it is tuned correctly and he is a decent rider it will eat our 700xx's easily in a drag race. They have up to 855 kits for those Rotax engines in the DS 650 and it will really make them walk the dog!! If it were not for the XX's being $4500 out the door, IRS, FI, and rewind my DS would already have a 720 or 730 kit and I would be satisfied horsepower wise but stuck with out rewind. For now though I love the IRS, FI, and reverse, but grumpy about the lack of power my XX has with the Big 3. The XX will eventually get some compression and headwork if not some additional cc's.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock one I rode must have had issues, cause it was a dog. The seat and ergos reminded me a little of a jet ski.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I assure you it was sick if it felt like a Z400. Stock DS to stock XX drag race will be decided by rider. I have both. Sold the other DS with TM 48 carb, Ron Woods in frame drag pipe and aftermarket CDI with no internal engine mods and it would consistantly but not always pull my XX with EHS Big 3 in a drag race with fairly equal riders. Buddy still has a DS with a few internal mods and it will pull Big 3 XX's all day long with his not very skilled 300 lbs sitting in the saddle.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, that's what I thought. I out dragged a piped one pretty good a few years back on my R, but I didn't think it was that bad.

So it sounds like stock vs stock they are equal and then whoever has the most mods after that wins?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Garrett22..........If it is tuned correctly and he is a decent rider it will eat our 700xx's easily in a drag race. They have up to 855 kits for those Rotax engines in the DS 650 and it will really make them walk the dog!! If it were not for the XX's being $4500 out the door, IRS, FI, and rewind my DS would already have a 720 or 730 kit and I would be satisfied horsepower wise but stuck with out rewind. For now though I love the IRS, FI, and reverse, but grumpy about the lack of power my XX has with the Big 3. The XX will eventually get some compression and headwork if not some additional cc's.
Sounds like someone needs the Thumper Racing bbk :hey:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I really want a ds650 yes im keeping the 700xx never gonna sell it, but i had a raptor and loved my buddies ds650 with a big bore kit on it would be a wild wicked ride!!!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I really want a ds650 yes im keeping the 700xx never gonna sell it, but i had a raptor and loved my buddies ds650 with a big bore kit on it would be a wild wicked ride!!!
Captamer......If you are that interested in the DS 650 you should check out Jeff Ross in Southern Missouri (thebomracing.com), and Eric Oldham at (OMWRacing.com). nomercyracing.org has alot of big bore DS's, good info, and some awesome streetbike powered DS's with everything from 100 horse GSXR 750's, to 160 horse R1's, to 300 horse turbocharged Hayabusa engines. Have to admit a stock tuned 180 horse Suzuki Hayabusa engine in a DS frame would have to be the ultimate Duner! Just think, run on pump gas, idle around all day effortlessly, good fuel mileage, and when you get that itch???? What better scratcher than a fuel injected inline four cylinder with 180 ponies between your legs??

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Sounds like someone needs the Thumper Racing bbk :hey:

Amen to that LOMO. Not sure Momma is going to go for that though. I was supposed to sell both running DS's and my parts DS when I bought the Honda. I have only sold one DS and a few parts as of today.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Some guy had a ds 650 at Busco a couple weeks ago. It had put a Suzuki gsxr 600 motor in it and did not hook up until 90mph and redline was 14,000 rpm:hey: That quad was bad ass!

I am sure it was sweet with roughly 2.5 times the power of our Honda's. Then there are the Hayabusa powered ones with another 80 or so ponies on top of that 600. Brings a big ole cheesy butt grin to my face just thinking about 180 horses in a fourwheeler frame.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Why don't we see more motor swaps? Seems like I see more folks dumping big coin in motor builds when there are tons of street bike motors that could be had at the same price with double the HP of any quad build.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts