Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to the forum.

I've been contimplating upgrading from my 400ex after this summer. I've been really looking at the IRS sport quads like the 700xx. I have a few concerns, though. I ride a good amount of dunes in Oregon (which is a mix of open sand and tight trails through trees) and would like the opinions of 700xx owner who ride in sand. How does the weight and IRS work out on the dunes? What sort of changes have you had to make to your riding style?

Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a xx and ride at sand lake and florence, OR. I love it. Weight is not an issue and neither is the irs. Riding style changes are minimal.

This thing is a monster at the dunes!! It pushes in the tight turns a little but there is nothing in sand lake or florence that have made me have to get off the bike and push it. And the thing jumps beautifully!! U won't be dissappointed if u get a xx.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a xx and ride at sand lake and florence, OR. I love it. Weight is not an issue and neither is the irs. Riding style changes are minimal.

This thing is a monster at the dunes!! It pushes in the tight turns a little but there is nothing in sand lake or florence that have made me have to get off the bike and push it. And the thing jumps beautifully!! U won't be dissappointed if u get a xx.

Thanks for the info! The ruts at Sandlake and the off-camber drops and witch's eyes at Florence are kind of why I started looking at IRS. A couple guys in our riding group have Outlaws and they seem to like having the IRS as well. Are you running paddles? If so, what combo are you using?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm runnin skat trak 8 paddle edges in the rear 22x11x10 itp rim and 22" dual rib sand stars in front. And ill never own a set of molded paddles, its skat trak only for me.

I'm also runnin the fmf factory 4.1 slipon and powerbomb header, uni foam filter, ehs airbox lid and pciii with a map from dave and one from scuzz that I switch between.

I posted here a little while ago about drags at florence and I'm convinced that with a 12t front sprocket I can beat a banshee, but that's a theory and needs to be tested still. Side hillin and witch eyes are of no concern with the xx. I have yet to ride in terrain that this quad did not man handle. This thing has done everything I have asked it to with ease and much delight. Ill admit I was sketchy about the dunes too, but all those worries have been squashed and I can't wait for each trip to the OR dunes now!! The first time I beat a couple raptor 700r's at comp hill in florence, man it felt good! Them guys were in complete shock and disbelief, and I loved every second of it :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
besides having all the power you want at a flick of a thumb they also handle the woops better than most SRA quads. a 12 tooth ??? I can already take off in 3rd with the 13 tooth but a 12 would make it a lot easer to tow in the razers and banshees. oh ya I will be at florance/drift wood 2 sand camping this weekend the 22 23.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Good info so far. Given the tendencies toward understeer, would front sand tires be considered a requirement for the 700xx? As far as molded tires, is there a general dislike toward molded tires, or just for the ones that are currently available for the XX? I've been running sand stars on my 400ex without issue, but I realize that I'm also about half the horsepower of the XX.

I'd love to get to florence this weekend, but may be down with a busted exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I've had two different sets of molded tires on the 700xx and I didn't like either one. One set were sand sharks and the other were sand snakes (straight paddle though).

Neither set hooked well IMO. Like you though I had Sand Stars on my 400EX and loved them.

Now I have a set of skat traks and wouldn't have anything else.

I haven't had sand tires on the front yet, but if I did I would get something with a very aggressive lip or center edge as the stock tires push something awful under some throttle.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts