Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out in the desert today and did some serious climbing. For those not familiar with the Phoenix area we are in a valley surrounded by some huge mountains. Anyway I climbed this steep rocky hill and the Dunlops really ate it up. It was a nice 45-60 degree hill and probably 200 feet long with a lot of loose rocks and some big embedded boulders. I went up nice and easy in 2nd gear all the way I was wondering how you would think the razrs or other avaiable tires would compare for this type of terrain. The Dunlops just dug in. They also grabbed quite well on the loose dirt on the way down the other side. Does anyone like these tires? This is my first quad and I have no point of reference so I would appreciate some opinions on tires. I do know I'll be riding these until they wear down.
One thing though is the gearing being too high I've ordered the 13 tooth sprocket. I don't see me needing top end and can't imagine going 80mph anywhere I ride. The 13 would've made the climb even more easy.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The Dunlops seem to have pretty good grip but they are wearing out fast. Seem to have a soft compound. My last quad had RAZAR'S and they seemed to hold up better to the rocky desert and still had good traction. I will be going to the RAZR'S on the rear as soon as the Dunlops are done (which won't be too long). I put the 23" RAZR'S on the front and I love them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Dunlops seem to have pretty good grip but they are wearing out fast. Seem to have a soft compound. My last quad had RAZAR'S and they seemed to hold up better to the rocky desert and still had good traction. I will be going to the RAZR'S on the rear as soon as the Dunlops are done (which won't be too long). I put the 23" RAZR'S on the front and I love them.

Do you believe the Razrs will grip as well as the Dunlops? Also do the 23 Razrs track a lot better? The front Dunlops seem to fight you in sharper turns at speed. The Dunlop grip is nice for climbing but sucks for steering. I'll go with Razrs all around so long as I'm not losing rear traction.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Do you believe the Razrs will grip as well as the Dunlops? Also do the 23 Razrs track a lot better? The front Dunlops seem to fight you in sharper turns at speed. The Dunlop grip is nice for climbing but sucks for steering. I'll go with Razrs all around so long as I'm not losing rear traction.
I am in the Phoenix area when I get my rear RAZR'S we can meet somewhere for a little riding and you can decide for yourself. I may go riding out by Wickenburg this Sun if you want to try mine with the RAZR'S on the front.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Razrs in the rear really dig (Sweet tires) compared to the stock Dunlop. Huge improvement in traction and love the way they let you hang the ass end out in the corners. Cant wait to get the Razrs for the front, thats my next purchase.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in the Phoenix area when I get my rear RAZR'S we can meet somewhere for a little riding and you can decide for yourself. I may go riding out by Wickenburg this Sun if you want to try mine with the RAZR'S on the front.
Cool. Where do you ride? I've been going out to 11.5 aka The Boulders near Lake Pleasant. I can definitely be there Sunday as I was planning on riding out in that area anyway. I'm going with my neighbor who has a dirt bike.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I've noticed the Razr loses big time in straight line performance on semi-hard to hard surfaces. The knobs on the razr are to close together to grip on these surfaces. No exaggeration, Yesterday I was in the top of fourth and locked up the front tires. I slid about 20ft and locked up the back also, It took another 30ft before I came to a stop after sliding out of the field onto the road.

With the stock Dunlops when I would race the front would stay in the air, With the razr I spin all the way through 3rd gear.

I could never slide the Dunlops, With the Razr I can spin donuts.

The Razr wins hands down though for one reason. They are predictable. I rolled my bike probably four times on the Dunlops. I haven't once with the Razr.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cool. Where do you ride? I've been going out to 11.5 aka The Boulders near Lake Pleasant. I can definitely be there Sunday as I was planning on riding out in that area anyway. I'm going with my neighbor who has a dirt bike.
I will PM you with my cel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recenty made the switch to RAZR's front and rear. What a difference! Front stock tires are garbage. The stock rears do hook up really good, however the side wall is too soft and it makes it hard to slide and I would get a somewhat uneasy feeling during high speed turns. I have only rode once with the RAZR's and the machine felt more planted, predictable, and sliding the rear end out is much easier. Basically they hook up when you want them too and don't when you don't. I haven't climbed any mountains with them yet though. They were on the baja 1000 winning 700xx, so they can't be too bad! My .02

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm running them on the stock wheels. I saw on another forum Wayne Matlock was saying that if you run the 10" rims, the razr's are 11" wide and makes the bike push more then with 11" rims and 10" wide tires. That's one reason I stuck with the 11" rim, besides being on a budget. :D I really like them and they definitely helped with pushing!

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you give me a website that sells them for the 11in rim?
Got mine from rocky mountain atv. Free shipping and I had $20 off coupon code. I'll give it to you when I get home. You might have to search via rim size.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
chapparell motosports is even cheaper

·
Registered
64 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts