Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going everyone? Last night me and a few buddies went riding in the snow. After an hour of riding my buddies 700xx started to shut off. So he changed the spark plug. About 1 hour later he was getting it and BOOM. Threw a rod or what have you. Has a big hole in the lower head.

My question is me and him have the same mods and Im worried that this might soon be the fait of my xx. I want to know if there is anything I can do tuneing wise or things that I can listen for or look for to prevent this from happeing?

·
Registered
528 Posts
sounds like a lean condition if it was tuned for warm weather.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have known several people locally that have blown their engines in the snow. The combination of the engine doing more work and a slower speed and getting snow packed around the engine and radiator drastically reducing cooling. I know it seems weird that you could ruin the oil and grenade a motor when it is freezing outside.

Sounds like you are suspecting a fuel problem, but I wanted to let you know what I had seen before that has caused the same thing.

What did the plug look like that you pulled out? Black or detonated? What about the plug that was in it when it blew? The plugs should tell part of the story.

I run the Barker/EHS set up as well, but without the quiet core. I haven't had any problems in the cold. What did his end cap look like, clean or black?

If you are concerned about yours, do some plug reads in the cold.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His plug was all black when he pulled it. AFter the blow up I dont know. My exhuast looked a little black to me but that was on the screen of the quiet core.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Hows it going everyone? Last night me and a few buddies went riding in the snow. After an hour of riding my buddies 700xx started to shut off. So he changed the spark plug. About 1 hour later he was getting it and BOOM. Threw a rod or what have you. Has a big hole in the lower head.

My question is me and him have the same mods and Im worried that this might soon be the fait of my xx. I want to know if there is anything I can do tuneing wise or things that I can listen for or look for to prevent this from happeing?
i guess you will have to tear it down if your missing valves it was in the head first if the hole is lower then you may have broke the rod/piston either way its sounds like the problem was showing itself earlier and you guys didnt catch it. I imagine there was a loss of power due to the increased friction which was either a loss of lubrication or a wore/broken part. your problem does not sound like a lean problem at all to me, the xx has a intake air temp sensor that will richin the honda map which in turn anything connected to it pc/ehs efi will also run richer and the % of fuel added is also multiplied.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i talked to him about it on the phone, he was in the top of 5th gear, seems like he broke a valve spring or valve or something, he side he did not see a hole though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He called me yesterday and we talked on the phone a bit abotu what you said (simply orange). All I know is that if I start to feel loss of power or anything like that Im going to stop riding it and figure out whats going on.

I feel bad for him but I guess ish happens. Hopefully hes able to build it up better and stronger to meet his need for speed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Easy fix..... move to south alabama (we dont have snow)

·
Registered
120 Posts
That kind of scares me. As... I am looking at getting the xx, an I was seriously thinkin of doing the big three from ehs but... I dunno. I had the same issues with my renegade (not wanting to tune it myself with the auto tune) but the big three seemed like a nice plug an play system, now I'm kinda apprehensive

·
Registered
528 Posts
i doubt it was a problem with the big 3 unless there is a detonation hole in the cylinder. sounds to me from talking to him it was a mechanical failure.could have simply been the timing tensioner, only way to know is to take it apart and find the issue.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, keep us updated about what exactly caused the problem

·
Registered
755 Posts
That kind of scares me. As... I am looking at getting the xx, an I was seriously thinkin of doing the big three from ehs but... I dunno. I had the same issues with my renegade (not wanting to tune it myself with the auto tune) but the big three seemed like a nice plug an play system, now I'm kinda apprehensive
Big 3 on any quad is just as reliable as stock as long as you got the efi done right which EHS racing does.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea i really dont think it was related to the ehs parts. I know that he will soon be makeing his mind up about what hes gonna do and one of those options will result in a road trip to lousianna lol to meet simply orange.

·
Registered
528 Posts
shipping is easier and cheaper more than likely, but thats up to him.he needs to let me know soon though so i can get with damian about the parts so he can save a few bucks on the performance side of things before all of the parts are gone

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea ive been talking to him to get him to make a decision before the bike sits too long. If he dosnt ride it he'll lose intrest and wanna sell it. Then I loose my best riding partner.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i didnt feel no powr loss before the noise but im talking to honda about a extended warrentee n might wait a lil while them drop the bike off an act dumb unless the motor is salvageable

gereg im not goin newhere ill buy another four wheeler before i lose interest in riding i might buy ryans around tax time.. jus sucks bc everyones calling me to go riding n we were in the middle of planning trips n it was fun having the fastest quad lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL good to hear man. Im ordering a truck tomm afternoon. 40,800 dollars getting it for like 33000 out the door.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts