Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the hot cam stage 3 yesterday. The install was extremely easy given this cam is drop in and doesn't involve changing springs. I called Eric at EHS this morning for help changing my settings on the EHS fuel controller. Eric, even though very busy was extremely patient and helpfull over the phone and helped me dial in the fuel settings. I took the xx over to a friends and was extremely happy with the results. For just dropping in a cam and doing nothing else this was a nice step for people on a budget. I'm liking the power gains, I rip through gears faster. Anyone worried that the stage 3 will kill you on the bottom end without the high comp piston do not need to worry at all. I had no issues lugging the motor and it pulls hard. Definitely a nice step towards more power. Thanks to Eric for great customer service!:thanks:

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Good deal im glad u got it handled after i talked to you i finally decided i was going to make a video to explain how to adjust the controllers i have to have that convo about 5times a week lol
A video in the how to section would be an awesome idea, Pictures/Video are usually understood better than written or spoken instructions lol

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, sorry about that Eric. When you had me write down each color and what stage they were it made everything very clear. It really is extremely easy to adjust, I just needed it spelled out for me. Slow learning curve, sorry. The xx ran awesome but I'm still going to break it down again to check the valve lash one last time.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Cheers for the review. HC 3 is something , I was thinking about next. :D
Unless Eric has something better for a stock head and the Big 3 ?

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know Eric's custom grind cam is more aggressive and requires uprgraded springs. I think the Hot Cams are the only cams you can just drop in and not worry about upgraded springs. I glad Eric did this, I was looking for power but not ready to do a full build. In areas where I was usually in 3rd gear I found myself cooking along in 4th. I'd like to race my friend's built raptor(11:1 piston, stage 2 hot cam, pcIII, K&N intake and barkers duals) again and see where this puts me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know Eric's custom grind cam is more aggressive and requires uprgraded springs. I think the Hot Cams are the only cams you can just drop in and not worry about upgraded springs. I glad Eric did this, I was looking for power but not ready to do a full build. In areas where I was usually in 3rd gear I found myself cooking along in 4th. I'd like to race my friend's built raptor(11:1 piston, stage 2 hot cam, pcIII, K&N intake and barkers duals) again and see where this puts me.
I have the EHS controller and a Hotcams stage 2... might have to upgrade to the stage 3 now to keep up with the youngsters!

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Thanks for the answer, I also wasn't looking for the springs/rockers upgrade with the cam change.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I raced that built Raptor today and learned some interesting things. We raced from a dead stop on the street for about an 1/8 mile. I launched in second gear and it was hard with all the traction to rip out of the hole hard and not flip the bike over on myself. The combination of his high comp piston and smaller stage 2 cam seemed to give him a lot more low end power than my stock comp piston and stage 3 cam. Once we were moving and in the upper rpm range he wasn't pulling. I lost by 2 lengths both times compared to the 4+ previously. If we raced in dirt where I could spin the tires out of the hole it would be a different race. His set up worked much better on the street since his motor would spool up faster. Not sure if this is making sense to you guys. Bottom line, the cam makes good high end power but the lack of compression hurt on the road. In the dirt where I can launch like an animal in higher rpm range would be a different story. When we make a trip out to black river falls I'll get us racing on video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts