Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go with the elka shocks and the houser swing arms all the way around and I have the itp mudlites but are way to big for my liking. Now I have a couple questions first will putting a 10 inch rim on the back mess up the quad I heard it would and I am do not know much about suspension so what stage elkas would be good should I say the hell with it and go with the stage 3 or 4?? Help please!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
What kind of riding do you do or are planning to do? Putting a 10'' rim on the rear will make your quad really wide. I've always been against it... it's just not necessary in my opinion. Sent you a pm...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
rear is over rated imo buy a sway bar and the front set up. s3 shocks should be good if your not a hard core racer.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I have 10" on mine and it really doesnt seem that much Wider... If you plan on getting front A arms then the 10" back rim would negate the need for Rear A arms IMO.. I am running stock A arms and it seems Just fine.. I primarily am a desert rider (when I am in the states). As far as suspension goes, its kinda look at what you like/need, Any new suspension is an Upgrade IMO. I went with 10" to put the Razor II on..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
rear is over rated imo buy a sway bar and the front set up. s3 shocks should be good if your not a hard core racer.
isnt that what matlock uses..... i'd say s1 or s2

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Stay with the 11". Wider is not always better.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have stage 2's and love them! Next is rear shocks off to Wiigstyle for compression, springs, and re-valve. I think that combo is the best value. Total investment for that is 1621 which is about the same price as just stage 4 elkas up front.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Stay with the 11". Wider is not always better.
But it hell of alot more fun ! Rear width is somewhere between 481/2" to 53" depending on tyre and rim selection . :D

·
Registered
755 Posts
But it hell of alot more fun ! Rear width is somewhere between 481/2" to 53" depending on tyre and rim selection . :D
Would you reccomend me getting rear 1" spacers? I have DWT 3+2 offset rims making it 47.5" wide up front and stock 46" in the rear. It always made sense that wider up front made it oversteer more and handle better.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
If I remember correctly when I measured mine I was at roughly 48" both front and back with the 10" on back with stock A arms. Yes wider isnt always better I agree with that but if looking into houser then you will end up Wider anyway.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Just had the Wife measure the Back wheel width with the 10" Rims and Razr II came out to 48.7" so yeah close to 50 is about right.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The pic above is a good way to measure width. The way I see it, AMA makes you ride through two horizontal bars that are 50” apart, so width is measured from sidewall to sidewall. I use two cans of brake cleaner to measure width. Take the cans and place them on the ground up against the bottom of the side wall on each side of the quad. Make sure the cans are flat on the ground and just touching the side wall. Push the quad out of the way and take your tape measure and measure between the two cans. I measured my stock 700XX width using this method back when I first got it and I am positive the stock width was just under 48” or so.

I used to run my 450R’s at the max width I could, never paying attention to how wide they were. They never cornered great, but I didn’t think they were that bad. One day I saw a post on a forum from a suspension manufacturer, and he said the rear of your quad should be ¼” to ½” narrower then the front to help with cornering. Went and measured my 450R and found the front was 50” and the rear was almost 51”. Swapped hub spacers around on the rear axle to get the rear width under 50” and took the quad out for a ride. I was amazed at how much better the quad cornered just after that small change. Since then I have always paid attention to widths and always set the rear slightly narrower then the front.

Doug

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So stick with 11" rims and s3 elka all the way around with houser front swing arms with a sway bar would be a good enough setup? The only thing with 11" rims is I can't find tires for the damn thing any suggestions for tires stock size in the back?

·
Registered
198 Posts
i just wanted to reiterate that whenever you are talking about the width of a quad with an a-arm manufacturer or shock builder, the width is measured at ride height (the rider sitting on the quad). The width of the quad varies quite a bit depending on how far the frame is off the ground.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Man be patient and wait for the Kenda Kutter and try not to go down to 10" rims. Why dont you get on to Ed's group buy. I did not buy from Ed but have taken note of his input concerning suspension/setup and the man knows his stuff.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ed brings up a good point and I did forget to mention an important step. After I set the cans next to the tires, I sit on the quad and let the suspsension compress some. This will push the cans away and give you a true measurement of width with the rider on the quad.

Doug

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man be patient and wait for the Kenda Kutter and try not to go down to 10" rims. Why dont you get on to Ed's group buy. I did not buy from Ed but have taken note of his input concerning suspension/setup and the man knows his stuff.
When are the kendas supposed to come out they look like a nice tire

1 - 20 of 25 Posts