Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i though i would be a good idea to do a review on all the elka shocks so everyone with them or that wants them should chime in. are we spending our money wisely? what stage is best for me?ect ive seen a lot of trail riders with the s4 is it nessary for your riding or was just a want? think this will be help full for shock shoppers.
700xx rear s1,s3,s4
700xx front s1,s2,s3,s4

now my review now that ive have road them longer. i have the stage 3 front and rear compression rebound and preload $1200 a pair. i feel i am able to adjust every aspect of my riding with these shocks for not being a racer. i really like how you can ride over the same section of trail and say i dont like the way the quad kicks and drop the rebound down a little and it goes away. or bump up the compression on bigger jumps. the overall ride of having shocks built to your specs is amazing much smoother and smmes to transfer power better imo.

·
Registered
305 Posts
S3 fronts only here. The decision was rather easy and clear based on my reschearch and piggybank. The easy/quick adjustment options on the s3 & s4 was a requirement. The jump to s4 features/pricing is targeted at pro's IMO. The biggest improvement has been a much smoother ride on those rumble strip type trails. Seems like we have a lot of those type of trails around here and it was brutal on my arms before the s3's up front. Also, the article in ATV Action about raising the bars based on your height helped.
Not sure when or if I'll replace the rear. I've not been unhappy with their performance (yet). But if I ever do it will be the s3's.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I have Elka S1 front and bought them because they were the cheapest. The fitment was a bugger and as I progressed with racing thought I needed S3 at least.
Anyway 12 months later and alittle wiser , these shocks are not that bad.
It would be nice to have a compression adjustment, but we are doing OK.
Over the stock shocks they are way better and for the money are worth it for weekend warrior(Was going to put a leisure rider, but they seem to be more intense riders) this would be a good buy.
I have other upgrades aswell but basically running stock and turning on a dime at any speed.
The only upgrade for me would be LT.
I am running 44" front width with Elka S1 and 49" rear with stock rear shocks with a ride height of 10 1/2".

·
Registered
755 Posts
Do you guys think the rebound adjustment is worth the extra money?? I was thinking stage 2 with compression only.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Do you guys think the rebound adjustment is worth the extra money?? I was thinking stage 2 with compression only.
What type of riding/racing do you intend to do ?

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Very fast pace trail riding and an occasional race or 2. I'll probably never see sand or open wide terrain. The video is where and how I ride haha.

If you do as the video ,S1 will work fine. If race in rougher stuff when racing then get the compression adjustiable ones.
Just outta curiousity , did you have the K8 swaybar on when you shot the video ?

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you do as the video ,S1 will work fine. If race in rougher stuff when racing then get the compression adjustiable ones.
Just outta curiousity , did you have the K8 swaybar on when you shot the video ?
No I still don't have it on yet, I will this weekend and have a review on the sway bar when I get back. Thanks for the info I think I'm still leaning towards stage 2 because of extra oil and better fitment.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it depends if its for the front or rear front maybe not as nessary rear yes, because for me when racing/riding on the whooped trails at the dunes the ass end would start bucking and kicking up to much by decreasing rebound i was able to get the maximum travle out of the shocks and flow smoother at faster speeds.

when you guys mention better fit - What are you referring to? Are the different stages not the same length eye to eye?
i think they are refering to the bushing elka is a very large company and mistakes can get made. several members have had there shocks show up and have the wrong size not allowing the bolts to line up

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the other answer im looking for is on the s4 i know a lot of you have them. is the extra $300 for the hi/lo compression worth it/nessary. not talking pro racing but for ther rest of us. and can you tell a difference between adjusting one or the other.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would only be buying the fronts 1st but if you had to pick between compression or rebound only what would it be. I'm thinking either stage 1 with rebound or stage 2 with compression. I was also looking at fox's float R. Its the same price as elka stage 2 and has rebound only just like it. Trx tas, have you ever had a problem with the air leaking? I've heard you need to check the psi before every ride because it can go down.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would only be buying the fronts 1st but if you had to pick between compression or rebound only what would it be. I'm thinking either stage 1 with rebound or stage 2 with compression. I was also looking at fox's float R. Its the same price as elka stage 2 and has rebound only just like it. Trx tas, have you ever had a problem with the air leaking? I've heard you need to check the psi before every ride because it can go down.
going by elkas sight you can get s1 with rebound or s2 with rebound the s2 rezzies do not have the compression adjuster.
i like the fox floats but it scares me that if fails there is no spring to hold you up and you will not beable to ride out of where ever you are.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
i thought you would like that either way both are great shock companys
yeah the fox shocks are sweet ive just seen by buddy not beable to ride because he couldnt pump them up when we were at the dunesbut his are older and could of been due for a rebuild. have you had any issues??

·
Registered
755 Posts
going by elkas sight you can get s1 with rebound or s2 with rebound the s2 rezzies do not have the compression adjuster.
i like the fox floats but it scares me that if fails there is no spring to hold you up and you will not beable to ride out of where ever you are.
Check elkas website
Stage 1 + rebound 695
Stage 2 preload only 775
Stage 2 compression 940

All stage 2's com with rezzies, stage 1 doesn't. Fox Float R's are 700 and have rebound just like elka's stage 1. So back to the question would you rather have compression or rebound if you can only have.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check elkas website
Stage 1 + rebound 695
Stage 2 preload only 775
Stage 2 compression 940

All stage 2's com with rezzies, stage 1 doesn't. Fox Float R's are 700 and have rebound just like elka's stage 1. So back to the question would you rather have compression or rebound if you can only have.
i would go with the stage 2 with compression because your also getting a rezzie which will help the shock preform better

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.