Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of elka shocks fit the 700xx model number?? Im a big guy about 260 lbs so I need more in the front The rears dont bother me any

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
You can download the complete Elka catalog from their website in pdf (Adobe) format. If you order shocks from Elka, they will set the shocks up to YOUR weight and type of riding you do.
I have Stage 2+ (preload and compression) front and Stage 3 (preload, compression and rebound) back... See attachment from catalog.

roadkill

·
Registered
579 Posts
Kdenny, I just got & installed my Elkas & we are close to same weight..The model on fronts I used were Stage 3 # PB36CR STD set-up for 250-275Lb. Stock a-arms, XC riding style.. They are sweet. You dont have to spend this much $ , you could do stage 2 's I think Baxter on here is racing with Elka stage 2 I beleive? & also Roadkill as he stated above..

I knew I was only gonna get one chance at some nice shocks so I went for best I could afford at the time..

·
Registered
80 Posts
What kind of elka shocks fit the 700xx model number?? Im a big guy about 260 lbs so I need more in the front The rears dont bother me any
I inquired to Elka directly for me (6'4", 270), described my riding style (70% fast trails, 20% technical, 10% track) and they recommend Stage 1 with rebound

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Kdenny, I just got & installed my Elkas & we are close to same weight..The model on fronts I used were Stage 3 # PB36CR STD set-up for 250-275Lb. Stock a-arms, XC riding style.. They are sweet. You dont have to spend this much $ , you could do stage 2 's I think Baxter on here is racing with Elka stage 2 I beleive? & also Roadkill as he stated above..

I knew I was only gonna get one chance at some nice shocks so I went for best I could afford at the time..
I am actually running stage 1 Elka's on the front . They are very good but wished I had waited and got stage 2s. Only due to trying MX,XC and TT this year and wudda liked more compression sometimes. The stage 1 is very good and cheap for somebody who doesn't race. :D

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
:lol:
I inquired to Elka directly for me (6'4", 270), described my riding style (70% fast trails, 20% technical, 10% track) and they recommend Stage 1 with rebound
I would disagree with their recommendation because it sounds like you do kinda XC style riding... not necessarily RACING, but more in riding style. I'd recommend Stage 2+ front and back for your type of riding.... rebound is not as critical as compression for fast trail riding. Stage 2+ can be ordered as pre-load and rebound OR pre-load and compression. If they offered Stage 1 with a compression, I'd say go that way. I know it would be $245 more per pair, but I'd say worth it. JMO
Oops... Almost forgot something. Baxter had to do a bit of grinding on the front upper shock mount so the Stage 1's would clear the bracket... not a big deal, but the shocks with rezzies don't have that issue. (Insert me sticking my tongue out at my Brit buddy... what do you expect, I'm Scottish) :D

roadkill

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
:lol:

I would disagree with their recommendation because it sounds like you do kinda XC style riding... not necessarily RACING, but more in riding style. I'd recommend Stage 2+ front and back for your type of riding.... rebound is not as critical as compression for fast trail riding. Stage 2+ can be ordered as pre-load and rebound OR pre-load and compression. If they offered Stage 1 with a compression, I'd say go that way. I know it would be $245 more per pair, but I'd say worth it. JMO
Oops... Almost forgot something. Baxter had to do a bit of grinding on the front upper shock mount so the Stage 1's would clear the bracket... not a big deal, but the shocks with rezzies don't have that issue. (Insert me sticking my tongue out at my Brit buddy... what do you expect, I'm Scottish) :D

roadkill
It's a full moon tonite , just at you my good friend. (wish we had more smilies) :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. What do you guys know about the Fox shocks? Are they any better or worse than elkas? I think they are cheaper but I havent heard much about them from anyone on the site. I do some cross country racing but mostly ride wooded trails and sand dunes. It is a little rough when my big ass comes down from a jump the front usually bottoms out with the stock front shocks and this is why I am considering better front shocks. Also, how hard is it to adjust the rear shocks on the 700

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It is very easy. I just put the rear end up on a bucket and use a long square drive screw driver and a hammer. Takes about 5 mins

·
Registered
626 Posts
mate i would go with the fox shocks i have not bottomed mine out yet and i ride the same type of trails they are a lot lighter very easy to adjust and they give such a smooth ride i dont regret buying mine at all they where 500 dollars cheaper here than what elka elites would of cost me (in australia) all the companys over here besides one told me to go with fox and i believe he did not deal with them! bolted straight on aswell takes all of ten minutes

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Which fox model did you get?

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
yep i know houser has them on there web site i got mine ffrom the australian fox dealer i would send them a e mail or give them a call

1 - 15 of 15 Posts