Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a budget...what would you guys say..is there really that much of a difference..im sick of the junk front shocks and i just want something that wont bottom out..good for jumps..and something that will get me in them corners better..

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i belive the only difference is just the stage 2 has a resy

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I'm really interested in this too. If the st. 1's are way better than our stock shock than I wouldn't mind saving the $300. I've been getting along fine with the stockers but i'd like some more comfort in the trails. I'd like to see people who have both or ridden with both post theirs thoughts. I'd like to know how much better the st. 1's are over the stock shocks to help my decision.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You can get Elka stage 1, stage 1 with rebound adjustment, stage 2, or stage 2 with compression adjustment.

For a budget Stage 1 is a huge improvement but having compression adjustment is nice.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I would just get ds450 shocks if you are trying to save money.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
ok here it is
you can get s1 or the stage one with rebound but i would go with the ds 450 shocks before those then you can get the stage two with rebound no stage 2 for rears though then u can get the s3 with rebound and compression. when i bought mine they said u cant get the s2 with compression adjusters the s1 would be better but would be kinda like just revalving and respringing your stock ones basicly the ds shocks are fully adjustable and would work nicely if on a budget otherwise i would get at least the stage 3 shocks because u dont wanna be sayin in 6months to a jear that u wish you would of spend the little extra at the time instead of going with the s 1or2s jmo

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't race, just recreational ride. I've been doing pretty good with stock and they blow. I really appreciate the responses, I'm thinking st. 1 will be just fine for my recreational riding. I really don't want to cut up my xx for the ds shocks though they do sound like a good deal
From what I understand you trim the shocks, not your bike.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Stage 1 seem good if you aren't on long rides I think. I have read a huge problem is when the oil in the shocks gets too hot then the shock does not perform well. I don't have any yet but IMO there is a reason the DS450 guys are selling them. Also I have ridden 450s. A TRX and a YFZ and I will tell you that comfortable suspension was never a word that came to mind!

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Also I have ridden 450s. A TRX and a YFZ and I will tell you that comfortable suspension was never a word that came to mind![/QUOTE said:
:lmao: Never looked at it that way but it makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
755 Posts
ok here it is
you can get s1 or the stage one with rebound but i would go with the ds 450 shocks before those then you can get the stage two with rebound no stage 2 for rears though then u can get the s3 with rebound and compression. when i bought mine they said u cant get the s2 with compression adjusters the s1 would be better but would be kinda like just revalving and respringing your stock ones basicly the ds shocks are fully adjustable and would work nicely if on a budget otherwise i would get at least the stage 3 shocks because u dont wanna be sayin in 6months to a jear that u wish you would of spend the little extra at the time instead of going with the s 1or2s jmo
I got stage 2 with compression adjustment...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Nope just compression, it was 940 and is on the elka store website.
Actually, you can get the Stage 2 with compression OR rebound... Having both would be the Stage 3. BTW - The Stage 2's only come in piggyback, so won't work for rear.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Nope just compression, it was 940 and is on the elka store website.
Actually, you can get the Stage 2 with compression OR rebound... Having both would be the Stage 3. BTW - The Stage 2's only come in piggyback, so won't work for rear.

roadkill
ok cool i thought the were just rezzies with optional rebound. i think the compression is more important than the rebound i am always adjusting mine.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I have used the s1 with rebound only adjustment. They are better than stock but had change the springs to heavier ones. i blew the seals on the schreider valves and lost the nitrogen, changing them into pogo sticks.
Discussed this with Josh Wiig and he seemed to think they were overheating.
Also something to remember is adjusting rebound also effects compression settings. Another note that Josh shared.

I would recommend the s1 over the s2 because of 2 reasons ,1 is price and 2 that I beleive the rezzies can be fitted with comp adjustment at a later date.But I have not tried s2 shocks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think im going with the stage 3 rears first just because i hate whoops with this quad..also anyone hear anything about them houser nerf bars..i like them alot

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I have S1 and they're much better than OEM but if you ride allot in whoops or "railroad" tracks then they tend to overheat and become Pogostick but for long hauls they work great, still thinking about getting the rezzies this year but we'll see how much riding I'll be doing this year.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ok brian chime in here i know you have some bad boy elkas on yours .... lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts