Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to look at a used 08 700xx today,and it had this loud tapping noise in the engine.It sounds like it's coming from somewhere around the piston.Is that a normal sound with these bikes?
I have a friend that has a 450r,and that thing makes lots of noise when its running.
Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
these engines do make noise but without actually hearing it myself i wouldnt want to tell you its normal. how many hours are on the bike? also look under the quad for lots of gouges and rust. look at all the frame bolts for excessive corrosion. check the oil for metal flakes and water. If a lower octane fuel is used it will make more noise. also when you accelerate does it get louder and faster or does it go away?? is there any smoke? try to figure out if its coming from the top end or lower end. Also when in doubt go with your gut feeling.

·
Registered
528 Posts
they make noise, i have went over my valves, timing chain and clutch yesterday ad its still loud and runs its balls off, its just normal timing chain slap, if you try to tighten it the noise changes but get worse, thats how i know its only the timing chain...you should be able to tell if its a rod knocking.plus i think the engine has a knock sensor. and +1 to the fuel, if you run a low octane in it it sounds about 60% worse, my little brother did it to mine and i found this out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
these engines do make noise but without actually hearing it myself i wouldnt want to tell you its normal. how many hours are on the bike? also look under the quad for lots of gouges and rust. look at all the frame bolts for excessive corrosion. check the oil for metal flakes and water. If a lower octane fuel is used it will make more noise. also when you accelerate does it get louder and faster or does it go away?? is there any smoke? try to figure out if its coming from the top end or lower end. Also when in doubt go with your gut feeling.

Im going back to check it out again today.I'll ask the owner if he has 87 octane gas in it or not.I does get faster and a little louder when you rev it up.
It dont smoke at all.
The tires are worn out,so it probably has lots of hours on it,but the bike still looks good
He said he just changed the oil in it,and that it didnt sound that loud before he changed it.
As loud as it is,it still dont sound as bad as the 450r my buddy has.I was told all the 450r's sound like they're about to come apart
I'll see if I can find one at a dealer that they can crank up and let me hear it run so I can compair the two.I'll know then if its just a normal sound or not

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like it's coming from the top end to me.
Have any of you ever adjusted the valves on a 700xx?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just went and looked at it again.That tapping is real loud,you can hear it the whole time your riding,that cant be normal.He said he put 93 octane gas in it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
mine does it too, the valves are easy to adjust.

·
Registered
528 Posts
you can hear mine tapping when you ride it and it gets faster but i have checked everything and there is nothin mechanically wrong with my bike,it could be the kind of oil he pout in it.im going back with amsoil because mine was quieter with amsoil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im gonna see if I can find out how to adjust the valves in the service manual,ive never made any valve adjustments on anything.
He said he put Mobil 1 4T 10W40 in it.
I use that same oil in my CBR 1000rr,I like it

·
Registered
528 Posts
you can do the valves, it was the first time i ever adjusted mine too.you just gotta get the tank off and pull the 2 cover plates and .06 & 0.08 feeler guages, 10mm werench and a flathead screwdriver.there are intruction on this site for doing them. takes less than an hour start to finish.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
My bike doesn't make any noises? Just normal intake and exhaust noise. With the full pipe and ehs lid and uni it is pretty loud but I've never heard any tapping noises?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well,I searched for an instruction thread on how to adjust the valves,and couldnt find one,but I did find lots of other helpful information in the process

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just find another one and see how lould it is. I think they are loud when running perfect but my mechanic doesn't so it's all just opinion. If you find another one you will get an idea of whats what.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would like to thank each one of you for your help.:thanks:

I bought that bike this morning,downloaded the manual,and adjusted the valves.
NO MORE TAPPING in the engine.:yay:
Thats what the problem was,it sounds great now.
All the valves needed to be adjusted, the exhaust side was way out.
Im going to ride my new toy now :xx:,thanks again for the help

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
thats what makes this site so great. every one here has had some experiences with these bikes and they all love to help. dont worry you will be addicted soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts