Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lol at the "english " debate on the "tire size" thread..
Tyre is what the whole world uses exept usa..(for whoever it was that asked)
Tire is tired, as in need some sleep, or some of you may tire at dragging this up again... :nuts:
So what do you use in usa for tired or tire ?

Another one that has caught engineers out (american ones) is the use of mill.
Could tell you a story where a rather expensive piece of kit got sent to the states to be finished and it was wrongly assumed that the mill measurements were imperial, it all ended in wrongly fitting parts and a rather expensive explosion !

Now much of the world uses metric so mill is short for millimetre, but in the states a mill is 1/1000th of an inch.

We are all metricated here nowadays yet tyre/tire sizes for cars carry a combination of both, ie 185/70x13 ?
Uk still sells boats in feet as it sounds longer than metres ;)

Would be interesting to know how such words as tire (rubber) and color (colour) which came from the english language ended up being spelt differently !
humour/humor .. favourite/favorite.. theatre/theater.. kilometre/kilometer cosy/cozy... realise/ realize.. dialogue/dialog.. traveller/traveler.. cheque/check.. jewellery/jewelry..

·
Registered
27 Posts
We had a situation at work where we were contracting some work out to a German company. We had them fly over here, but their translator was stuck en-route so we had 8 engineers sitting in a room who couldn't communicate with each other. We started using hand signals & "figuring it out"...I held up my index finger (meaning "1")...apparently in Germany you start counting with a thumb, so they wrote down "2". That was a $400k issue. :(

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I learnt to use both. I can buy a New Holland tractor built in England. Most parts are built in Europe ,yet they use 3/8" UNC bolts for the exhaust manifold , etc and most of the hydraulic fittings are ORFS which is a flat faced Jic thread. We have a Manitou telehandler that has BSP spool blocks etc and they use couplings to convert it to metric . I wish they would use imperial as it is easier to work with and understand.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
i do tire of using all that goofy metric stuff.lol

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Also I wouldn't call the thread "English vs American". The English had there own system using with things like BSF, British Standard fine which was similar to UNF. What fucked the system up was "Eurogods" telling us we could not use Imperial and had to use metric and now they say use what you want because it didn't work. Without the Euro law we would have still be on BSP.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would love if we here in the states would just stick to metric (decimals). Its so much easier then imperial (fractions).

As for the change in the spelling of words, I feel that when our forefathers left Great Britain to come to America for a change and freedom, they still wanted to adopt some of the good qualities but wanted to put their own twist on it to make it their own.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont you mean imperial (fractions) and metric (decimal) ?
whoops...
What are your cars held together with ? Metric or imperial ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The US twist on the english language is to spell phonetically.........or is that fonetically ?
Just as confusing here in Oz, we use a mixture of the two languages along with a few twists of our own. Onya mate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts