1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Mounting tires is easy, it's getting the bead loose on old tire, and seating the bead on the new tires. I've thought about this same tool, but herd "good luck breaking a bead on ATV tire's" with this".

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have an actual car tire machine and sometimes it is still hard to do ATV tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Yes they are a beatch to break the bead, even with the hydraulic bead breaker. The guy that did my 9" rims had a hell of a time. No way I can see doing it with this little device from HF. I herd the pipe bends before the bead breaks loose. Maybe okay for wheel barrel or lawn mower tires, but not atv. And that's just what I've herd.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I laid my old tire on a piece of plywood to not scratch the rim. Got the biggest pot my wife has and boiled up water. Pour it over the bead to soften and heat everything up. Used a 2 by 6 and my one ton truck and drove up on the tire. It took a while but I did it myself. When your new tires come ups on a friday and you get home from work at 7 pm you will do anything to them on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up having Discount Tire put them on. They only charged me $3 per tire.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Don't waste your money on the HF type of changer...I did, and they are junk.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have the tire changer you linked and it works great for me. Have been using it for over four years now, has paid for itself 100 times over, haven't had any issues with it. I did make a base for it though, just used an old 2x12 I had and made an "X" base. It was a little tricky at first, but now that I got the hang of it, I can swap tires quick. Even the bead breaker works decent. Rear tires are a piece of cake, no issues with those. I do have some front wheels that that give it fits, something about the inside bead it doesn't like. Those I just break out a board and use my truck!

I have found the key to swapping tires with this machine is letting them sit out in the sun for a while. If you have to swap a few sets, it is a little bit of a work out, but still better then paying some one to do it. That is exactly why I bought changer, local bike/atv shops charge $10 a pop for a tire (Discount tire wanted $20 a tire!) and some of the shops won't even touch the tires unless you buy the tire from them. I can't even think of how much money this thing has saved me over the years.

Of course, I own multiple sets of tires for racing, so I end up changing alot of tires. If I only owned one or two quads and just trail ride, I would probably just take them to a shop, because I probably wouldn't have to change tires often.

Doug

·
Registered
481 Posts
I used a 6x2. laid it on the tyre then drove my car onto the wood.. that broke the bead ok..
after changing a tyre decided its easier to pay someone else to swop them over !

·
Registered
197 Posts
I laid my old tire on a piece of plywood to not scratch the rim. Got the biggest pot my wife has and boiled up water. Pour it over the bead to soften and heat everything up. Used a 2 by 6 and my one ton truck and drove up on the tire. It took a while but I did it myself. When your new tires come ups on a friday and you get home from work at 7 pm you will do anything to them on.
Did the same thing worked like a charm , a couple hours and I had it done :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts