Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my exhaust choices down to 2. FMF q4 with head pipe, or barkers full exhaust. I ride some at night and want a somewhat quiet pipe. I have heard sound clips of both, but want to know real life takes on the noise level of these pipes. I know its not going to be factory quiet. How much louder are they, and whichever one I get will have quiet core installed. I am thinking barkers so I can get it, ehs prog, and lid all at my hous at same time. Any opinions???

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I have the barker/EHS set up and am Very happy.. I use the Quiet core since I am in California and yes it is louder but it doesnt seem to loud to me. I cant speak for the FMF though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've heard the FMF slip on no header pipe with the quiet core and it's rather quiet and i don't much care for it, i don't think it sounds good either, I've got an HMF slip on with spark arrestor and it sounds much better to me, fmf sounds nearly the same without the quiet core as HMF mine with the spark arrestor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well i like loud, so I'm going full HMF and selling the FMF Powercore slip on, The FMF isnt all that loud, nice crackle to it thou.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Boys you want loud, you just cant go past the full HMF Bill Ballance system it is BAD with a capital B.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I have the Barker and love it... and yes it's loud. But not at idle or under sound check parameters. Sound checks are supposed to be done @ a set rpm and a set distance/angle. My Barker with QC tested at 94db by the FS. Opening it up and accelerating is another mater... loud.
If you just need to meet sound test type requirements, either will meet those needs. If you want overall quiet for neighbors type thing... Q4

roadkill

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have an hmf pipe with header and it's way louder than the barkers. the barkers tone doesn't have the loud cracks that the HMF does, but the barker head pipe is bigger and better constructed. if I had to do it over I would select the barkers in a heartbeat. nothing against the FMF or HMF pipes I'm sure they work well, but it seems that the barker was made for the 700xx specifically whereas the fmf and hmf pipes seem like they are modeled from another model (450r probably)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I go to finger lakes sometimes and would like to go other places, want to stay below the db levels. I basically want a good sounding exhaust. If its somewhat loud, that's fine. I don't like the cackling sound some make.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Well I go to finger lakes sometimes and would like to go other places, want to stay below the db levels. I basically want a good sounding exhaust. If its somewhat loud, that's fine. I don't like the cackling sound some make.
I think you would like a Sparks exhaust its not as loud as the HMF or Barkers but it sounds much better than the FMF IMO and from what I'm hearing it's the best performing exhaust for the XX.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Anybody know if FMF is making the mega-bomb header for the XX? Don't get me wrong the FMF pipes are WELL made and fit an finish is excellent. They seem to design them to be quiet without a lot of power loss. I personally just liked the Barker sound the best. Plus it makes lots of powa!

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I was gunna ask the same question and RnBxx sold me on the FMF. The UK is stricter on the dbs and was looking for a quieter exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
FMF has a new header out called the Mega-bomb. It's supposed to have as much power as the power bomb but be even quieter. Not sure if it's available for the XX yet though?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well i like loud, so I'm going full HMF and selling the FMF Powercore slip on, The FMF isnt all that loud, nice crackle to it thou.
If you do decide to sell that FMF powercore slip on let me know how much and i might be interested in buying it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
X2 On the HMF Bill Balance. I love mine! LOUD!!!!!!! Sounds like a beast comin through the woods.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've had the FMF Q4 and PowerBomb header for the last year and I like it. It's only slightly louder than stock, with a nice deep tone but not obnoxiously loud. Very well made, fit and finish are top notch, you can even use the stock heat shield for a "sleeper" look. It has more torque all over, but probably not the gains of a more open type exhaust.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I guess it will be a full fmf exhaust. Where's the best prices? Should I get fmf prog with it?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Well I guess it will be a full fmf exhaust. Where's the best prices? Should I get fmf prog with it?
If you’re going to get a Dobeck programmer go with the one from EHS.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts