Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was changing my oil last night. (per Scuzz's Awesome Oil & Filter change pictorial guideline)

As I ran the engine to warm it up, pre oil change (4-5 min's), and ran it again, post oil change (4-5 min's); I noticed that my exhaust was a constant Hot Orange Glow from the engine to just about the heat shield!

I don't have a lot of free time, live in a subdivision, I started my oil change at like midnight or so... so when I ran the machine in my garage, I turned the lights off... didn't want to bring too much attention to my thoughtlessness... So, what I am saying here is that it was DARK in my garage, like total black dark.

But, I was shocked at how bright orange this exhaust was..... is this normal/OK for the exhaust to get that friggin' hot?__________

New machine, 6 hrs. max, 1st oil change...

I spoke to my neighbor this a.m., about how hot my exhaust gets, he's a big sled guy, his comment was Dude, that doesn't sound right!!!

Thanks...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You're welcome!

These run lean from the factory and this translates to higher exhaust temperatures. Nothing to worry about. :)

If you say so Scuzz... I haven't used the machine for any night riding or anything yet, first time that I had it running in pretty much complete darkness... And, I noticed the Orange - GLOW!!!

I believe you, don't get me wrong. Has anyone else noticed this and have been concerned as well?___

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I have never seen mine orange but my head pipe is a dark blue purple even when off.
I've run mine at night at Pismo many times. The glow is normal for stock bikes... not just ours. Most are set lean from the factory to meet emissions standards. You can richen up the mix by using an aftermarket efi controller and thus reduce the exhaust temps... However, you need to remember that the bike was set up and meant to run lean in stock form... Think Big 3.

roadkill

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I read the other posts... makes sense, and it is what it is I guess.

With all the free space around the header, the Orange Glow of Heat, any way to affix any type of rack there in that area, nothing to large, but say the size of a little tray that you can place something like those gas station frozen Burritos in for a quick meal out on the trail?_____ Why not harness that heat... Make some Jiffy Pop or something...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
OK, I read the other posts... makes sense, and it is what it is I guess.

With all the free space around the header, the Orange Glow of Heat, any way to affix any type of rack there in that area, nothing to large, but say the size of a little tray that you can place something like those gas station frozen Burritos in for a quick meal out on the trail?_____ Why not harness that heat... Make some Jiffy Pop or something...
ive cooked a braut on my car's header before. wrapped it in foil and wedged it in there. wrap the burrito around the header with foil.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
ive cooked a braut on my car's header before. wrapped it in foil and wedged it in there. wrap the burrito around the header with foil.
Jacket potato off a 7610 manifold . Heaven and burnt mouth. Things you do when it is bloody cold, also good for warming pies,pasties and other foods.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Both mine and my friends get that orange glow too

Hot pipe is hot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just find it amazing that within seconds of firing it up... gets that glow going. But hey... if it's the norm.... all cool I guess.

:thanks:

The burrito thing... I guess it's my heritage, always thinking food...

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Jacket potato off a 7610 manifold . Heaven and burnt mouth. Things you do when it is bloody cold, also good for warming pies,pasties and other foods.
Pasties are what strippers use on their nipples. I guess we know where your mind was. :lmao:

roadkill

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
if you run it with out ant pipe on it it has a really cool looking blue flame:lol:

Just find it amazing that within seconds of firing it up... gets that glow going. But hey... if it's the norm.... all cool I guess.

:thanks:

The burrito thing... I guess it's my heritage, always thinking food...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts