Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just told that an easy way to reduce heat coming off of the exhaust is to wrap it with thermal wrap. They say it also increases horsepower and might even cause bike to run cooler (nothing major). The thing I am wondering is if it voids my warranty and if there are any adverse effects. I was kind of wondering about corrosion. I live in Arizona, so the heat factor is pretty high, standing water not very common. I've wrapped my exhaust and have noticed less heat on my right leg. Yes, I do ride in shorts at times. I just want to make sure that the wrap isn't going to do more harm than help.
:confused::confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wrapped my wifes 700xx exhaust and using a laser thermometer on 2 different machines it dropped the temp by the guard by about 200 degrees but its still hotter than hell on the leg and will not void your warranty , oh by the way hers is wrapped from the head to the muffler, my sons is not wrapped at all thats how i took the temps.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I have heard it will make your header rust out prematurely? Just because the wrap will hold moisture. something to think about... Not sure if it's true or not? I wouldn't think it would void your warranty though?

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't sure, so I thought I would ask just in case someone else may have already found out. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have heard it will make your header rust out prematurely? Just because the wrap will hold moisture. something to think about... Not sure if it's true or not? I wouldn't think it would void your warranty though?

Yes it will....so after washing just run it untill it dries, it does not take long.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i wrapped my fmf header on my 450r and it makes a huge difference in the heat..alot less..the extra power i dont really notice..it does hold water but just start it up and let it evaporate. BTW it does wear out! it will fade and start to fall apart..especially in high wear areas on the header where your legs rub. depending on how much and how hard you ride..replace it about 1 time a year

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
i always wrap... wait what are we talking about...
yes i have noticed a heat reduction with my header wrapped works good for me

·
Registered
1 Posts
exhaust wrap
Posted by piloturgeUse Design Engineering's asbestos-free exhaust wrap as a heat barrier to keep the engine and driving compartments cool. It also keeps wires and hoses from melting under extreme conditions and controls heat in the exhaust system for a performance boost.
Any one have any experience with Walker Exhaust products? i was curious if it really drops air temps under the hood.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think that someone makes a sealer to apply over the tape once you put it on. That may seal out some of the moisture and keep down on corrosion.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used VHT header wrap coating on my Dodges exhaust, on my Teryx and on the Honda. The Dodge has an aluminumized 5" exhaust and I have not noticed any more rusting than normal. I take it off occasionally close to the turbo and replace it because it gets blistering hot there:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
mine was ceramic coated...simply because i do it on the side....helped drastically

1 - 15 of 15 Posts