Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going back and forth on after market shocks for a while and I have got it narrowed down to Elka stage 1 fronts and Wiigstyle modded stockers in the rear. Anyone who is running either of these, please give me your thoughts on them. I know that if I dropped $3k I could get better shocks, but I really don't need much more than stock for how I ride now. I have searched and read a few posts on these, but there are not many out there. If you don't mind, please let me know if you are a big guy when you post your opinions. Also, I don't want this thread to be which shocks are the best, just some feedback on these two. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I asked this question somewhere in another thread. People were saying Elka recommended the St. 2. They said the St. 1 wasn't strong enough for the weight of the XX. I know people here are running St. 1 and they said the St. 1 is way better than stock but fades quickly when on rough terrain for extended periods of time. They said the shocks without the resivoir for cooling would heat up and become real springy. Basically like the stock set up, haha. If you end up with St. 1 let us know your feedback on them. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
The Elka st1 isn't a bad shock , it's just not a race shock. Thats were I went wrong.
Josh helped me out on setting these up and I could make them last a 3 hr enduro.
May sound wierd but the rebound adjuster actually also effects the compression.
Once I learnt this(Thanks Josh :tup:) they did alot better.

So back on topic , You want a better than stock shocks . The st1 and Josh's rears is a good setup , I would also recommend buying the st1 from Josh :
A. I am sure he will do a deal for you
B. Any problems , He will do his best to put them right for you

I weigh 155lbs without gear and I hope this helps. :D

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
The Elka st1 isn't a bad shock , it's just not a race shock. Thats were I went wrong.
Josh helped me out on setting these up and I could make them last a 3 hr enduro.
May sound wierd but the rebound adjuster actually also effects the compression.
Once I learnt this(Thanks Josh :tup:) they did alot better.

So back on topic , You want a better than stock shocks . The st1 and Josh's rears is a good setup , I would also recommend buying the st1 from Josh :
A. I am sure he will do a deal for you
B. Any problems , He will do his best to put them right for you

I weigh 155lbs without gear and I hope this helps. :D
Thanks for the info Baxter :tup:Me and you are about the same size and I think this is the setup im going to try (should work great for the dunes)

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
EE, please let us know how you like it once you pull the trigger. I've been trying to convince one of my 700XX converts to pony up for shocks, but he understandably balked when I told him about my setup. I told him that some guys like do the Elka/Wiigstyle combo, and he of course liked that idea better. He's also a big guy (maybe 230) so I hope to steal all your experiences for him. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Where are you guys getting your Elka stage 1's? I see ishock has them for 465.00 is that the best price?

·
Registered
369 Posts
that is the same setup that i want to run when i get the funds. seems like a great one for the weekend warrior.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pulling the trigger on both. Stock rears all packaged up and ready to ship tomorrow. Now the worst part........................the wait. When I get the shocks I will also be adjusting my new top a-arms. I was going to adjust preload first and then camber with someone of similar mass on the bike for both. I don't think it will affect toe or caster without a rider. You guys got any positives/negatives for this approach?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Pulling the trigger on both. Stock rears all packaged up and ready to ship tomorrow. Now the worst part........................the wait. When I get the shocks I will also be adjusting my new top a-arms. I was going to adjust preload first and then camber with someone of similar mass on the bike for both. I don't think it will affect toe or caster without a rider. You guys got any positives/negatives for this approach?
Set up the ride height first. I have 11" for front then 10 3/4" in the rear. Then adjust the toe in. I have my tie rods at 12 1/4" between the nuts (remember one is righty loosy lefty tighty) Then do camber ( I have 3 threads showing) And finally castor ( I have it on the second from front setting) I just did it all today and it seems right on, although I'm no expert and it was my first time.:nuts:

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right, but that other post has got me wondering and wanting to check both sides. Ie 2nd from the back on one side and 3rd from the back on the other might equal the same degrees due to frame inconsistency. I am sure it really doesn't matter if there is a little difference, just curious what yours measured.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ended up going through Wiigstyle for the new Elka fronts as well. They are getting ready to be shipped. Can't wait to get them and to get my new a-arms dialed in.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Ended up going through Wiigstyle for the new Elka fronts as well. They are getting ready to be shipped. Can't wait to get them and to get my new a-arms dialed in.
I am guessing you have Ed's uppers , Elka s1 and Josh's modded rears ?
This a great setup and makes a world of differance to the xx handling.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Let us know how you like the setup. I am looking to replace my fronts first, but may have the rears done too. I'm thinking Stage 1's as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts